Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

1 members and 3,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racks vs Cages

Thanks

Racks vs Cages

so, i just ordered my 2nd ball python, and have had my other ball python in a 20 gallon till he was a year old and now he is in a 50 gallon and i spent 400 dollars for it and all of the accesories. So, i was thinking, since i all ready have a 20 gallon i will put her in her in till she is a year, then this is where i start thinking, because i could spend400 dollars for another cage and have to make room for it, or buy this rack system,http://www.reptilebasics.com/iris-cb-70-rack, and sell the cages, what do you guys thing, should i go with racks or cages, what are the pros and cons of each? And if i go racks, how much could i sell a 50 gallon exo terra terrarium with all of the accsesories and a 20 gallon with all of the accessories, thanks.

Thanks
    I'm starting to look for my 2nd bp and this same question.

For 2 snakes - I was thinking a T8 from animal plastics with the divider, lights, flexwatt, rhp's on both sides, etc... everything in total was going to be about $600.

I've now changed my plans and will be picking up some pvc sheeting to build my own rack. I can build my own rack, with heat, tubs, hides, water bowls, and thermostat (enough to house 6 snakes for now) for about $300.

I've been trying to read up on drawbacks of using a rack, and the only thing I've seen people have issues with is ambient temps if your rack is in a really cool room in your house. If the room temps are below 70, depending on how and how much flexwatt you use, and tub size, you *MIGHT* need some other heat. I've seen several ideas for how to do this, but some people say it's not needed, as the tubs hold heat fairly well. Still, it will likely still be less than a cage setup. I think if I knew I would never have more than two snakes, I'd stick with a cage like the T8. If you plan on having 3, or 4, or 30, then cost per snake will probably decrease greatly with a rack system.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: Racks vs Cages

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    I'm starting to look for my 2nd bp and this same question.

For 2 snakes - I was thinking a T8 from animal plastics with the divider, lights, flexwatt, rhp's on both sides, etc... everything in total was going to be about $600.

I've now changed my plans and will be picking up some pvc sheeting to build my own rack. I can build my own rack, with heat, tubs, hides, water bowls, and thermostat (enough to house 6 snakes for now) for about $300.

I've been trying to read up on drawbacks of using a rack, and the only thing I've seen people have issues with is ambient temps if your rack is in a really cool room in your house. If the room temps are below 70, depending on how and how much flexwatt you use, and tub size, you *MIGHT* need some other heat. I've seen several ideas for how to do this, but some people say it's not needed, as the tubs hold heat fairly well. Still, it will likely still be less than a cage setup. I think if I knew I would never have more than two snakes, I'd stick with a cage like the T8. If you plan on having 3, or 4, or 30, then cost per snake will probably decrease greatly with a rack system.
    Yeah, i understand about the fact that i only have 2 snakes, but what about if i want another, and i already am almost out of room in my room because i already have a29 gallon fishtank, a leopard gecko and my 2 bps, and also my lovely rabbit

Thanks
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like BPs deserve a better and richer environment than just a rack type of home. I enjoy being able to see my angels exploring, climbing, basking, and hiding. It also allows me to keep an eye on them without disturbing them (to monitor temps and humidity). I prefer the large tanks because they are also more aesthetically pleasing. Of course not everyone agrees and some people are fine with stuffing snakes in drawers (lol), but I think they deserve better than that. Just my two cents.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (01-14-2016),Mr. Misha (01-14-2016),Reinz (01-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    My ball pythons didn't start taking f/t with any kind of regularity until I put them in a rack system. I think they feel more secure, the humdity is easier to control, the belly heat is a big plus. Also a lot easier to clean. I have hides inside the tubs so they aren't just sitting in just a tub with no where to go. The only down side is I have to take them out to view/enjoy them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

greco (01-15-2016),stoaob3 (01-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    My ball pythons didn't start taking f/t with any kind of regularity until I put them in a rack system. I think they feel more secure, the humdity is easier to control, the belly heat is a big plus. Also a lot easier to clean. I have hides inside the tubs so they aren't just sitting in just a tub with no where to go. The only down side is I have to take them out to view/enjoy them.
    I take my BP out a lot, and in his 50 gallon cage, the only good thing about it is it looks good. Now that's he is older and fat he kinda just sits in his hide almost 24-7 and I only see him out after I get him out and put him back in and he hasn't gone back into his hide. And the rack I am looking at has 3 tubs and heat tape, and since I have 2 ball pythons, I can use 2/3 and use the third for extra storage or for if I get another BP.

Thanks

It all depends on your preference, funds and space.

I like terrariums because I like observing my animals (more like empty enclosures lol) and having esthetically pleasing homes for them (I own 5 snakes btw). Others like racks because you can fit more snakes into a place that doesn't take a lot of space.

Here's my current setup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 01-14-2016 at 12:58 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

CantHelpIt (01-14-2016),Kam (01-22-2016),Reinz (01-14-2016)

Thanks
    I have a very very small space, so I use racks. Build up, not out. Besides, who ever stops at just two? that like saying you only want two cookies. Good intentions, but almost never work.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Thumbs up

When my wife and I first started collecting we used tanks too.
    When we got 10 balls reality set in and we decided it was time to make a smart move to a couple racks.
    Could you imagine?? Who in their right mind would have over 50 snakes in tanks........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    It all depends on your preference, funds and space.
    This is a big part of it...

If I had unlimited funds, I would probably just buy fully decked out T8's and have a few stacks of them 6 high... I have the room, but not the money. In the wild, BP's live in termite mounds and old burrows... so the small, cramped, tight, dark spaces is closer to their natural habitat. That being said, I like being able to see inside the cage as well on the off times my BP does come out of her hide. If only I had hit the powerball last night... lol
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast