Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Ideas to help increase humidity...

Hi Gang,

I have worked hard at getting this husbandry thing right...got the temps on the hotside around 88/90 and around 78/80 cool side BUT i'm still battling the humidity. My humidity during the day with the heat lamp on stays 30-40 percent, which I know is too low...I went out and got some moss for the tank and I spray it several times daily...that helps for a little bit and gets the humidity to go up to 45/55 percent but then back down an hour or two later.

I've also added fir bark as the bedding as I was told it's good for retaining water when wet.

Today I added a towel over the top of the tank that will hopefully help keep the humidity inside the tank. It has indeed, given me a 40 percent reading...slightly higher than before.

At night when the heat lamp is turned off the humidity goes way up. When I come down in the morning and turn everything on my humidity is near 60 percent.

Sooo, it would seem my heat lamp is robbing a good amount of the humidity.

What else can I do to help keep the humidity in order? My snake looks like it may be shedding soon and I want things to be correct prior to the shed process.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Ideas to help increase humidity...

I am assuming that this is a screen lid. First what I would do is add moss to the hides themselves as this is where you bp spends most of the time (i assume). This should hold a much higher humidity than the tank itself as there is less of a way for it to escape. Also instead of a damp towel I have covered most of my screen lid with foil. This allows the heat and moisture to stay in more. You can also try and use a piece of glass or plastic instead of foil it you want. You can also try adding a water dish also over the hotspot to see if that helps. Also it is really dry where i live so i installed a humidifier in the same room. Good luck!!
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

ArabianOak (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Ideas to help increase humidity...

Again assuming its a screen type lid, why not put a piece of Perspex / polythene over the lid to keep the humidity higher ?

You can adjust the coverage accordingly if it gets too humid ...

Edit ... Just seen the guy above already suggested that
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-12-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    What would ideal humidity be in everyone's opinion...I've been reading about it and it seems to range from 40-70 percent...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    This time of year with the heat running the house the interior air dries out, which makes keeping the humidity high in a tank even harder. I've been fighting chapped hands for a few weeks since the relative humidity in the non-herp parts of the house are under 10%.

I have my boas and pythons in a separate bedroom with the door closed since the rest of the house is fairly cool; between the heaters for the enclosures and a small chest freezer it stays toasty in there.

I also run an air filter/sanitizer in that room 24/7 with an 8-oz deli cup full of water set so the moving air from the air sanitizer flows across it. It increases the humidity in the room, but not so much that mold is a problem. Call it a poor man's humidifier but it does work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ArabianOak (01-12-2016)

Thanks

If you have room in your tank pick up some kind of hollow ornament like this skull I have and pack it tight full with moss. You'll need to get it damp to pack it in really tight. Then you can just pour water in it and get it nice and damp and set it in your enclosure. Also go to a hardware store or Lowe's for example and get some aluminum tape. Tape off your screen top leaving only an area for your heat lamp.
    The ultimate solution to humidity issues is a PVC enclosure like my T8. I can keep my humidity easily around 65% just by keeping the water bowl full. I only dampen the skull to bump it up when he's in shed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Smitty33 For This Useful Post:

ArabianOak (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    By placing moss in the hides the snake with get the humidity it requires. The overall humidity of the tank will still register low but that is not a problem. Maintain the moss in the hides and stop worrying about the tanks humidity. Worrying about that will drive you nuts.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ArabianOak (01-12-2016),reknirt (01-13-2016),The Golem (01-17-2016)

Thanks

40% isn't the worse. I have cypress mulch bedding and it's good at keeping humidity up, way too good. The cage would get up to 70-80% I resorted to using only a few handfuls of it along one side of the cage and paper towels everywhere else. I know you said you used fir bedding, but cypress could be different and work better.

I'm a pet owner with a super pastel female BP who is very much loved!
    Last edited by Kimchi~; 01-17-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks

Cool mist humidifier, hookup up to a timer, run a cpl times a day during daytime for 20 to 30 mins to help keep your himidity up more during day. The timer tht wrks well are the ones used to cycle fish tank pumps. Tear drop style ones, U can go to hardware store for tubing just enuff to shove in top of humidifier..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CalypsobluAz; 01-17-2016 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    I was actually gonna ask about humidifiers for the room. If I remove the saran wrap from the screen lids of my tanks and just put a humidifier in the room, I wonder if that would help? Has anyone else tried this?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python