Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,544

1 members and 2,543 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Love for "Normal" BPs

I own two ball pythons. A banana pastel and a White diamond BEL. They are awesome and I love them! But, I'm considering my next BP to be a normal.

Recently, I decided to get a boa. I had a lot of fun spending hours every night researching them and deciding which type I'd like. After researching them I really fell in love with all the pure localities of boas and realized that there is something special and beautiful about these snakes, that evolved and adapted to their environments. Not to get too religious (for those of you who are not) but, I also felt like this is how God intended them to be. I ended up purchasing a Tarahumara boa that I'm super excited to receive in the next week!

So, I got to thinking about all the crazy and different ball python morphs. You have to admit they are amazing! But, while you can find unique specimens (where all the morphs started) in the wild,I doubt you will come across a mystic potion or a banana pie bald in the wild. I'm not saying all these morphs aren't technically natural but, many are certainly a product of man.

So, I began to think. Have we gotten so caught up in the excitement and beauty of new ball python morphs that we have forgotten about the natural beauty of "Normal" ball pythons?

Do you like or dislike normals? Would you consider purchasing one, even if you have lots of amazing morphs?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonred For This Useful Post:

Herpo (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Well, here in Aus, we aren't allowed BP's, but if I could, I'd get both.

I'll explain it like this. Normals are beautiful, and they have natural charm. I've always been a sucker for the natural colouration of snakes, and so I can see the beauty. Also, the fact that they are generally cheaper helps.

Having said that, I do see the beauty of a Champangne or Piebald (we have just got piebald morphs of coastal carpets here in Aus, but they often suffer from neuro because they are generally the product of a Jag to Jag pairing), and would definitely love a Lemon Blast BP myself. And they represent just how much of animals is left to learn if a few combinations can produce so many colours and patterns.

At the end of the day, I think it depends on how we all feel about different things, but I doubt "Normal" BP's have been forgotten.

Kind regards,
    Herpo
    1.0 Coastal X Jungle Carpet Python - Popeye, March 2015

Follow his progress HERE!

Thanks
    I have been looking at normal BPs recently too. They are beautiful animals , i think the excitement of producing new never before seen animals is great but the "basic" older morphs / normals are beautiful animals as well.

I started with different morphs but then found myself looking at normals in a new light because it was something that i didnt have, it was exotic for me. A higher price tag often makes people believe their getting something better when in fact its the same thing; at the end of the day a BP is a BP it's just a paint job not a different animal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ba11er For This Useful Post:

Herpo (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    I've got a normal waiting for delivery. It's just too cold to ship him right now. I hadn't planned on getting one, but I really loved the way he looks - so...
    I also hadn't planned on getting a captive-hatched import, but he's that as well, so I guess he covers the bases.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Love for "Normal" BPs

While I absolutely love looking and admiring the pictures of morphs that folks post, they are not for me at this time. Like Jasonred, I really love the beauty presented as nature intended.

Jasonred, congrats on your new Boa! Please post pics when able.

Elenore, Normal Columbian Boa
    Last edited by Reinz; 01-09-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Love for "Normal" BPs

lotsa forum peeps have and love normals. here's some picture threads dedicated to normal BP's:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-are-Beautiful
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ve-for-Normals

i have some nice morphs but my normal girl Elphie I love most. here she is just hanging out:

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    I have to say the island locality boas have been tempting me. I have wanted to make a step up to something a little bigger and the Hogg and Pearl Island boas have caught my eye.

That Colombian looks great i just dont know if it would be too much snake for me. There is such a size difference between boa localities, girth and length.

Thanks

Re: Love for "Normal" BPs

I'll always have one Normal in the collection!

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

I'll always have one Normal in the collection!

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons