Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,070

1 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Ball Python Shedding during Feeding Strike??

My 14-year-old BP has been on a food strike since October. I've tried everything-- upping his temps, switching to smaller rats, then to mice, attempting to feed only once every 2-3 weeks, but he's shown absolutely no interest in the food I've offered him. I didn't worry too much about it, as many of you have said that older males tend to go off-feed during the winter.

However, suddenly my boy is getting a pink belly and blue eyes. Is it normal for snakes to shed during a fast?

Also, ever since his belly went pink he seems to be getting a lot more sluggish and lethargic. Not sure if this is simply his way of conserving energy before a shed since it's been so long since he's eaten or what, but either way, I'm getting nervous this is going to be a bad shed. I upped the humidity in his tank and will be watching him closely, but any other advice would be great.

I also rearranged his tank today. I read an article that moving his hide would help spark his appetite. I'm hoping that the combination of his shed and the new environment will make him hungry enough to go for a mouse.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    They can shed during their fasts. They shed for more reasons than growth so occasionally they will shed despite not having eaten for months.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.