Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

2 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Ball python stopped using hide

Hey All!
    I have encountered a very big problem recently. I moved my BP into a 16-QT tub with a UTH heating system. Originally, I had him on aspen. The temps were between 85 - 90 on the hot side and 74- 79 on the cold side. Ambient temperature was always above 70 degrees. I gave him one hide, a plastic plant (for added protection), and a water bowl. He was in there for around two weeks and fed on Frozen thawed three in that time, and suddenly 5 days ago he stopped going into his hide. The reason this is even a greater problem is because the only time his body will be "on top" of the UTH is when he is in his hide or right outside of it (Because of the plastic plant taking up a lot of space). I switched him to paper towels 3 days ago to see if lice might be a problem but as of now there are no black dots on the paper or in his water dish (He also hasn't been soaking at all). I have a IR Temp gun (High quality one) which I use to check the temps, and they are 100% good. I double checked them with a temperature probe though. The humidity is between 65 - 75 but the environment is dry and clean. What can possibly be going on and what can I do? On a side note, I left him alone for a week after I moved him into his tub, and he has been acting well until his hide problem. But since then he has hissed at me and puffed up which he almost NEVER does. (Once I pick him up he calms right down though). Finally, he constantly wanders around the enclosure and when I am holding him he yawns exactly once every time I do a handling session with him. He doesn't have a RI, I checked, so he is probably very stressed out. On the other hand, I don't know how that is possible because I only handle him 2 times a day for 5 - 15 minutes each time, and leave him alone for 1 and a half days after feeding. He also doesn't exhibit any of the other normal stress problems like not feeding, or striking.

Another side note: I feed him in his enclosure (as of this week).

Thanks,
    HenryTheSnake

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I see nothing to worry about.

He's not using the hide because he feels secure. If you switched from a tank to a tub that would make even more sense.

As far as the heat, he knows where it is and will seek it out when needed.

I don't why, but all of my snakes are spending almost all of their time in the coldest spot. My BP adult does this every winter.

As far as the yawn, I can speculate, but why? It's just a behavior.

Everything sounds fine.
    Last edited by Reinz; 01-08-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: sp
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

HenryTheSnake (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Just what Reinz said. Nothing to worry about here. Snakes don't care about our intentions for how they should use their enclosure decorations. As long as your temps are correct, and the animal is feeding, there is absolutely no issue.

Many of my boas spend a lot of time on the cold side of the enclosure as well.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 01-08-2016 at 04:00 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

HenryTheSnake (01-08-2016)

Thanks

Re: Ball python stopped using hide

I currently have all my snakes in tubs with no hides. They are eating everything i put in front of them without an issue and seem very relaxed and comfortable.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ball python stopped using hide

I seem to see an issue no one else is seeing. I think you might be handling him to much. I only handle twice a week. Can't twice a day be causing the issue?