Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

2 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Nose rubbing

Thanks

Nose rubbing

Lately my female lesser has been rubbing her nose a lot in her tub. She isn't getting any major cuts wounds sores (she has one slight red marking under her chin). But she looks like she pushes so hard i'm not sure if i should worry or not. She is a little over 1800 grams (been locking with a enchi lesser) ambient on the cool side is about 80-81 hot side 90. Humidity is a bit low but nothing crazy. Shes been off food since 24 Oct 2015 hasn't lost much weight few grams here and there but nothing drastic.

Any ideas recommendations or thoughts let me know.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Nose rubbing

How long would you say this has been going on? What your describing makes me think that there may be a respiratory component to this behavior. Did you notice any secretions on the sides of the enclosure? Has she had any noisy breathing or drooling and or bubbling from the mouth or nose? Your husbandry seems to be ok. How are you heating the enclosure? Maybe she needs to be in a bigger enclosure? Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 01-08-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Re: Nose rubbing

I mean all of my snakes in some way shape or form do this at night but she seems to do it excessively and really hard. My first thought was too small of a tub as well... shes in a 32 vs 41 but she seemed to do better in the 32 (minus this "issue") I use 6 inch heat tape controlled by a VE 300x2. As for the RI i was kinda thinking that as well but there arent any bubbles foam or anything along that nature, or hissing/grasping for air. I've seen a few RI's not a whole bunch so I would like to think i could spot another but im no pro by any means. I was hoping it could be breeding related but looking like it might be the enclosure.

Thanks
    what is the clearance between your tub and the top of the rack, do you have any vent holes in the tub, she might just be trying to get some fresh air if she is doing this at the top of the tub. or she smells something she wants and is really trying to get to it, tis the season for boys and girls to seek each other out.