Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Which is it?

Thanks

Which is it?

I've done a bit of research on what would be the best size tank/tub for an adult ball python. And I've heard two train of thoughts:

1) Adult BP's need at LEAST a 50 gallon tank.
    2) Adult BP's fit comfortably in a 40 qt tub (which is about 10 gallons)

So, which is it? I figure the important part here is floor area? So the 40 qt tub actually has a lot of floor space but no height; and the 50 gallon has about the same floor area, but a lot of height.

Another question, is the best way to determine if the tank is the right size for a ball python is if it's body can run along the length and width of the container from nose to tail? I've heard that also and I don't know how accurate that is.

Thanks for any help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Which is it?

What matte is the floor space, BP are ground dwellers not arboreal or semi-formal snakes.

An adult can live comfortably in a 30 or 40 gallons breeder or 41 quarts tub.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Is that rule of thumb accurate for ball pythons? That the right size is about LxW of the tank = the length of the snake?

Thanks

Yeah, that "rule" is a good way to determine minimum enclosure size, and you can always go larger provided there is adequate cover and visual barriers to make the snakes feel secure.

I agree with Deborah that floor space is the most important consideration, but despite being classified as terrestrial wild ball pythons do show some tendency to climb. Particularly juveniles and smaller males. You can build a more enriching environment in a tub with a little bit of height in addition to the floor space.

Edited to add that, whatever size you end up choosing, tubs and PVC enclosures are always superior options to tanks when it comes to ball pythons. Much easier to set up and maintain.
    Last edited by Snake Judy; 01-07-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Judy View Post
    Yeah, that "rule" is a good way to determine minimum enclosure size, and you can always go larger provided there is adequate cover and visual barriers to make the snakes feel secure.

I agree with Deborah that floor space is the most important consideration, but despite being classified as terrestrial wild ball pythons do show some tendency to climb. Particularly juveniles and smaller males. You can build a more enriching environment in a tub with a little bit of height in addition to the floor space.

Edited to add that, whatever size you end up choosing, tubs and PVC enclosures are always superior options to tanks when it comes to ball pythons. Much easier to set up and maintain.
    Yea my baby BP likes to climb on the branch decoration I have in his encloser. He'll hang out up there for a couple of hours every other day

And yea I know. My gf refuses to use plastic tubs but I've convinced her of PVC thankfully. Thanks for the reply!