Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

3 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python SUPER WRINKLY

Hi! So about a week ago my ball python's belly started turning a light pink so i figured he must be going into shed. A few days later his eyes were super grey and now just yesterday his eyes have cleared up. But his skin is SUPER wrinkly. I gave him a nice warm bath today and his skin doesnt look wrinkly anymore. Do you think this is shedding? I don't think it's dehydration there's always water in there and it's always the right humidity. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python SUPER WRINKLY

I had one of my snakes do that. It is because they do get a bit dry even with proper humidity. I started spaying extra water in their beds when I see the signs of a shed starting. And I mist them a little too. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAK Pythons For This Useful Post:

CodyH3012 (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Yes, wrinkles are very common and will almost always happen (some to less or more degree) when snakes are shedding. Do not bathe your snake. Just up the humidity. Bathing may make shedding worse for a snake because it could wash the natural oils a snake needs for shedding plus it is very stressful, even more so when they are shedding. Shedding is a very stressful time for snakes which is why many do not eat.

The wrinkles will disappear once you snake has shed.
    Last edited by BCS; 01-06-2016 at 08:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:

CodyH3012 (01-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    Yes, wrinkles are very common and will almost always happen (some to less or more degree) when snakes are shedding. Do not bathe your snake. Just up the humidity. Bathing may make shedding worse for a snake because it could wash the natural oils a snake needs for shedding plus it is very stressful, even more so when they are shedding. Shedding is a very stressful time for snakes which is why many do not eat.

The wrinkles will disappear once you snake has shed.
    Thanks!! I took a video of him and he's acting super strange. He's sitting inside his water dish and putting his head upset down rubbing it against the paper towels in his enclosure...I have a video of it if that would help. and as you can see, his skin is insanely wrinkly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqpxnfxaak
    Last edited by CodyH3012; 01-07-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    The rubbing is what my snakes do to get their shed started, so they can peel it off. They have to get it started, first!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

CodyH3012 (01-07-2016)

Thanks

Yep that is just him getting the skin on his head looser for shedding. He rubs his head on different things in the tank to start to separate it from his scales. He should shed within the week. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ailey_kr For This Useful Post:

CodyH3012 (01-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    The rubbing is what my snakes do to get their shed started, so they can peel it off. They have to get it started, first!
    Ohhhhh I see! Thanks! Sorry I just got him about 2 weeks ago and it's my first snake so I'm new to this stuff. Sorry if my question was dumb. Also do you have any tips for keeping humidity up?? I have a bunch of moss but should I stick it inside his hide? He likes to stay on the warm end of the cage 24/7 under his hide so should i stick some moist moss to help him shed? Because the overall cage humidity stays at 40% regularly and when I spray the enclosure, the humidity goes up to about 70% but will slowly drop over the hour and it'll go back down to 40%.

Thanks
    There are others that can offer better advice than I can. I've only had snakes for a little under a year, now. However, it would help to know what kind of cage you have, and how it's set up - I know with aquariums that have screen tops, I've seen it suggested to cover the top with foil to hold in humidity. Also, that a wet paper towel, wadded up and tucked in their hide, helps to add an extra bit of humidity during a shed. Moss should work the same way, I would think.

Thanks

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-With-Pictures this is a great forum on tank conditions that i would recommend you check out. also if your humidity is too low it would be good to get some sphagnum moss. it holds humidity very well and it is very rare if it ever molds. you do have to clean it out every month or so but it is great for humidity. Im not sure if this is the moss you have but i put mine in a plastic leftover container or something alike and cut a ole in the lid, then i put the moss inside the container. during shed it would be a good idea to wet some paper towels and stick them under a hide so it can ge humidity that way.
    Last edited by ailey_kr; 01-07-2016 at 12:53 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ailey_kr For This Useful Post:

CodyH3012 (01-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    There are others that can offer better advice than I can. I've only had snakes for a little under a year, now. However, it would help to know what kind of cage you have, and how it's set up - I know with aquariums that have screen tops, I've seen it suggested to cover the top with foil to hold in humidity. Also, that a wet paper towel, wadded up and tucked in their hide, helps to add an extra bit of humidity during a shed. Moss should work the same way, I would think.
    I have a 20 gallon terrarium that has a screen top. How do I use foil if I have 2 heat lamps on top of it? I have a damp towel on top of it right now but it only covers about 1/4 of the screen top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast