Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Building a snalke room in the garage

I have tried to convince the wife to let me convert our spare room into a reptile room, but she says no chance... So I am planning on building a small room in my garage. My garage is fairly deep and I have room to enclose a section to make a room that is approx. 8-10' x 5.5' and sill have room for the wife to park if/when wants to. 5.5' isn't very wide but I think its doable.

I'll have to have my hot water heater in the snake room. Will this pose any problems for the health of the animals? I don't think it will, but I wanted to check with you all before I start. The picture below are my rough plans. The two red walls are ones I would need to construct to enclose the area. I haven't decided what wall I am going to put the door on. There is already a door leading to the side of the house, but I don't want to have to use that door to enter the room. I want to be able to access the room through the garage.

I currently only have 2 snakes, but plan on getting more. I will be picking up a used Vision 1756 32 qt. rack in a couple weeks that will go in there as well as a small work table and any future racks I buy/build. Noting crazy just a 41 qt rack and eventually a baby/grow out rack. I think it will be cramped but hopefully workable.

So what do you think? Too small, dumb idea, asking for trouble? Don't hold back, lol.

Thanks

Bryan

0.1 Labradoodle "Liberty" aka "Libby"
    1.0 Leopard Jigsaw "Brisket"
    0.1 GHI Mojave "Kitty"
    0.1 Phantom Yellowbelly "???"
    Coming Soon
    0.1 Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i think that's a cool idea if your wife will let u do it. Lol!

some feedback:

1st - lot's of garages are not heated or don't have heating/cooling vents. what is your plan for ambient temps? will the water heater add heat?

2nd - i would get the measurements of the rack u are buying and place 2-3 of them including the work table in your floor plan. does it fit? does the 8-10' x 5.5' size fit your future growth plans?

3rd - is this the room u plan on all your snakes/reptiles ending up in? keep in mind, it is good to have a QT procedure and set-up for new snakes. would QT take place elsewhere in the house?

just some thoughts. this is a great idea. good luck, post pix!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

bproffer (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i think that's a cool idea if your wife will let u do it. Lol!

some feedback:

1st - lot's of garages are not heated or don't have heating/cooling vents. what is your plan for ambient temps? will the water heater add heat?

I'll have to use a heater to keep ambient temps up in the winter and possibly a cooler in the summer. Not ideal but it is what it is. I am hoping the water heater will add some to the ambient temp, but I'm sure it will be minimal at most.

2nd - i would get the measurements of the rack u are buying and place 2-3 of them including the work table in your floor plan. does it fit? does the 8-10' x 5.5' size fit your future growth plans?

I am picking up a Vision 1756 rack which holds 32qt tubs. And then possibly a Vision V70 rack which holds 41qt racks. That's a good idea to get the measurements of those to see how much space I'll really have. If I go forward with the build, I will go with 10'x5.5'. I'll have to make my future breeding plans for in that space. It will be at least 2 years until any breeding takes place.

3rd - is this the room u plan on all your snakes/reptiles ending up in? keep in mind, it is good to have a QT procedure and set-up for new snakes. would QT take place elsewhere in the house?

For the time, it will be where most end up. My son will probably keep his in his T8 in his bedroom I imagine. I'll set up a quarantine area inside the house somewhere. I am not planning on a massive amount of snakes to start out so I'll at most have 1-2 snakes at quarantine at any given time.

just some thoughts. this is a great idea. good luck, post pix!
    0.1 GHI Mojave "Kitty"
    Coming Soon
    0.1 Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    5.5ft won't let you have a 41qt rack unless they pull out sideways, but then sideways will take up 3ft of your wall. Then a 1756 would fit, so that another 18 inches, I don't know how wide your water heater is but add a table and you are pretty much out of room already. Not sure if it is worth limiting yourself that much. Even of it does fit, it's not going to be exactly nice to manage in. I understand doing what you have to but perhaps you can find another option?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

bproffer (01-09-2016)

Thanks

Re: Building a snalke room in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    5.5ft won't let you have a 41qt rack unless they pull out sideways, but then sideways will take up 3ft of your wall. Then a 1756 would fit, so that another 18 inches, I don't know how wide your water heater is but add a table and you are pretty much out of room already. Not sure if it is worth limiting yourself that much. Even of it does fit, it's not going to be exactly nice to manage in. I understand doing what you have to but perhaps you can find another option?

I was looking at the sizes tonight and I think you are right. I just don't think the space is ideal.
    0.1 GHI Mojave "Kitty"
    Coming Soon
    0.1 Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    well, back to the drawing board.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292