Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,783

4 members and 2,779 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Male Ball Python "Drooling" ???

So I just went to pair one of my males with one of my females (they have been paired together multiple times this season with normal behavior and locks) .. however this time when I pulled him out of his tub and was lowering him into the females tub (head down, mid-body and tail wrapped around my hand and arm) all of a sudden I noticed saliva (I'm guessing) start stringing and dripping from his mouth, it had the same appearance as dog drool, no bubbles just clear and stringy ... So I cancelled their date night and returned him to his own tub until I can find out about this behavior ....
    Last edited by T_Sauer; 01-06-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks

Re: Male Ball Python "Drooling" ???

Ok, so I have done some digging thru our forum here along with some other forums and internet searches and have come to the conclusion that it could be the very mild beginning of an RI or it could be due to the fact that my boy may have just taken a drink right before I pulled him out of his tub and he simply had not had time to get his swig o water down far enough before I picked him up .... I am going to go on a whim and say it was more than likely water not down the hatch all the way as his overall behavior is unchanged, no wheezing or bubbles, and husbandry has been spot on. However, I am going to hold off on any further pairings and quarantine and evaluate him closely until I can be sure there are no signs that may hint toward RI, and if I have any slight shadow of a doubt that it is indeed an illness we will be on our way to the herp doc stat. I will post my findings and the outcome once I have a for sure diagnosis.
    Last edited by T_Sauer; 01-06-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Good luck! Hopefully its as you say and you just startled him while he was drinking and nothing more worrisome. Also, 'ropey' and excessive saliva could be the start of mouth-rot, if in doubt a vet will be able to help you more than people over the internet.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Check the sides of the tubs. If it has a RI there will likely be marks where the snake has rubbed its face along the side of the tub.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-06-2016)