Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

4 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Surprise eggs!! Just when im down n out with the flu!!

I will get pics up later this evening ... As for right now I am rushing around trying to get everything done that I should have done a week ago!! .... Incubator has been running for two weeks however I dropped the ball with having the vermiculite ready and up to temp .... In addition I have been down and out pretty bad with the flu for about a week and today I checked on my girl to find her wrapped around 4 maybe 5 pearly white eggs .... My only concern at this point is that I don't know how long ago she laid due to being bed ridden ..... It could have been this morning or it could have been as far back as 5 days ago (tub heat where eggs are over the tape is always 89-90℉)... As of now I have the vermiculite mixed and in the incubator, I'm going to give it about an hour then check the temp and if all is good then I am going to transfer the eggs over .... I think I'm a little more worried than I need be but can't help it as this is my first clutch and the thought of the fact that I possibly screwed this up has got me on edge ... Any info anyone has on similar situations would be appreciated .... I will follow up with pics on this post after I get the eggs safe and sound in the bator ... Thanks in advance!a

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Surprise eggs!! Just when im down n out with the flu!!

First, congratulations and breathe. These snakes have been doing it for millions of years and believe it or not, without our help. As long as the eggs aren't collapsed from being too dry they will probably be just fine. Hope you feel better soon and looking forward to some little worm pics in about sixty days. You think a week with the flu is rough, wait until day 52 and your still wondering what's inside.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-04-2016),Alicia (01-04-2016),T_Sauer (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Just relax first of all. Hope you start to get over that flu bug soon. As long as she is wrapping the eggs and your heat and humidity are within normal ranges just take it easy. You have the incubator ready so be careful taking her off the clutch and careful transferring those eggs. It's normal to be excited and nervous at the same time so welcome to the club. Lol.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

T_Sauer (01-04-2016)

Thanks

Okay .... The eggs are in the incubator ... They have some mild dimpling .. I candled all 6 and all 6 have veins .. texture of the eggs felt just like notebook paper, with that being said .. give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on the situation please .... I got two pic's of the eggs but ofcourse in my nervous about the situation state of mind I forgot to get a pic of her wrapped on the eggs along with forgetting to weigh the clutch ... I already got the third degree from my girlfriend who is out of town and couldn't be here to see our first clutch ... But here are the two pics I did get

Thanks

Looks good. You may even see a little bit of the dimpling go away now that the humidity is higher. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 01-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    Looks good. You may even see a little bit of the dimpling go away now that the humidity is higher. Best of luck to you.
    That's what I'm hoping for .. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Great news, Congrats!

Get well soon
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

T_Sauer (01-05-2016)

Thanks

Just checked on the eggs, they've been in the incubator for 17 hours now .... I couldn't get it above 52% lastnight so I covered both the little vent holes I put in the tub and I'm only at 60% this morning ... I'm thinking my vermiculite/water mix may be a little light on the water side, I'm thinking I'll just mix another batch in a new tub and probably won't put vent holes this time, then transfer the eggs once that tub gets to temp .. just wanted to check for other thoughts and suggestions before I go messin with them again .. thanks in advance

Thanks

It's probably better not to keep jostling the eggs around so I wouldn't recommend doing another tub. Just close off any vent holes with tape, cover with press n seal but add a little bit of water first. I usually do a 300 gram water to 250 grams vermiculite mix or 6 to 5 ratio if you will. That has worked for me through the 6 clutches I have hatched. It's a small sample size but it is 100% success hatch rate so far. I've only lost 1 animal out of 40 eggs and that was to a twisted umbilicus as I don't cut.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

bpandrew (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    As long as she is wrapping the eggs and your heat and humidity are within normal ranges just take it easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast