Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Where to put tstat probe if uth is already stuck on tank?

I bought a thermostat and it's arriving today, but it was after I had already got my snake and attached my uth, and the forums say the best place to put the probe is between the uth and glass but that's no longer an option now that's it's already on there. Should I just put it below the uth now? and would I still use foil tape for that?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Sometimes you can gently peel the UTH off of the glass so you can sneak the probe in between the two.

Also some types of probes are pretty thick, be prepared to lift the tank up a bit so that the weight of the tank doesn't rest on the probe, or you will crack the glass bottom.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This is what I did, with some aluminum (aka heat resistant) tape, less than $5 for a small roll:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

hberry221b (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You can certainly tape the probe to the bottom of the uth. While you can carefully pull the uth off you run a good chance of damaging the heat coils inside and causing it to fail or heat unevenly.

If it were me I would just tape it to the bottom.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

hberry221b (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    I taped it to the bottom and the thermostat seems to be working pretty well, I'm on a budget currently and just went with the Hydrofarm one and will invest in a Herpstat in the summer. Unfortunately it's not as flat as I would like it to be, but if I'm to trust my thermometer it's still doing pretty well. while it's not touching the wood below it, it's pretty damn close, will that be a problem? because my tank is sitting on my dresser currently, but there are little stands on the bottom that came with the uth, it's just pretty close.

Thanks
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I know you will but keep a close watch on the Hydrofarm. Plenty of owners here have them and they work well enough. I was an unlucky one and the one and only I bought failed in the first couple months. It failed in the on position but I caught it just after it started to fail so Im not sure what would have happened as I didn't give it a chance. After that I quit suggesting them and only recommend Herpstat now.
    KMG

Thanks

Re: Where to put tstat probe if uth is already stuck on tank?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I know you will but keep a close watch on the Hydrofarm. Plenty of owners here have them and they work well enough. I was an unlucky one and the one and only I bought failed in the first couple months. It failed in the on position but I caught it just after it started to fail so Im not sure what would have happened as I didn't give it a chance. After that I quit suggesting them and only recommend Herpstat now.
    Yeah as soon as I'm able I'm going to get a Herpstat, I'm elated I ever have a thermostat now since I got my thermometer late and found out my uth was 125! of course the reptile store I bought it from was just like, "don't worry about a thermostat they don't get that hot". Poor little Eli could have got a burn, luckily I had packed the substrate on pretty thick just in case.

Thanks

Re: Where to put tstat probe if uth is already stuck on tank?

Quote Originally Posted by hberry221b View Post
    Yeah as soon as I'm able I'm going to get a Herpstat, I'm elated I ever have a thermostat now since I got my thermometer late and found out my uth was 125! of course the reptile store I bought it from was just like, "don't worry about a thermostat they don't get that hot". Poor little Eli could have got a burn, luckily I had packed the substrate on pretty thick just in case.
    Yep the so called reptile people at some stores have hurt and killed many animals with their bad advice.

Snakes will at times, with no warning, borrow and dig up their substrate. When you think there is a place your snake can't get it will prove you wrong.
    KMG