Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,151

1 members and 2,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Question Now scared of F/T rat...

Cake hasn't eaten in 3 weeks so far. He's 6 months old and around 500g when I last measured a month back. I've offered an F/T small rat once a week and a half ago, which he had no interest in (but wasn't scared either) whatsoever. He then rejected an F/T mouse that same day, which he always ate before.

I offered the F/T rat again to him today, and he was curled up in an S position, struck once at the rat and let go... indicating that he was scared of it. He was already out of his hide before I offered, so I thought he was hungry... but I guess not...

I can try an F/T mouse again next week, but... should I be blaming this on just seasonal fasting?

The fact that he's scared of the rat and struck defensively makes me wonder if there's something else wrong.

Thanks
    Miqula did that, a lot, when I first got her. I'm not sure it was really fear, and not irritation - if I set it down, she'd slither all over the top of it looking for a live one, and completely ignore the f/t one no matter how warm I got it. Just if I tried making it 'dance' for her, she'd strike and not grab. I don't know that that's any help... just my own experience.

Thanks
    Double and triple check that all your husbandry is correct

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Now scared of F/T rat...

Quote Originally Posted by M.P.C View Post
    Double and triple check that all your husbandry is correct
    Used the temp gun and Acurite again, all the temps and humidity are fine. He's still pudgy and hasn't actually lost much weight (if at all), so I'm not too worried, I guess...

I wonder when he will start eating again.

Thanks

Butters is doing the same thing. Might just be that time of year, but I've never had a snake this young do it. He's about the same age and size as Cake. I'm heading to the store to get a couple of live for my picky eaters anyway.

Hope Cake gets over it!

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks
    I had real odd behavior from my BP when I cleaned out her tank for the first time, after presenting a F/T Rat she struck and left it. Ended up getting a live meal for her and it got her right back on track. Hope the same works for you!
    0.1 Enchi Super Pastel

Thanks

Does he look in shed at all? We didn't realize mon cheri was in shed till she refused her second meal. Darn white snake and all. Once she got the shed off she snapped up her rat so hard I swear she gave herself red eye.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

If all of your husbandry is correct then it may just be he's gone off feed. Don't try to feed him next week. Skip a week and try again, if he still doesn't eat then just keep offering every tow weeks until he starts to feed again providing he doesn't start losing drastic amounts of weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Dottie is doing the same. She has refused 2 meals so far but she is also an adult now so i'm chalking it up to the time of year. Thank god I got 2 boas though who love to eat so they alternate between being the garbage disposal every couple weeks. I'm probably just gonna start offering Dottie food every month so the boas don't end up getting overfed although both of them don't mind an extra rat every month. I personally just feed my BP every 2 weeks or so, not every week which a lot of people seem to like to feed them.

Bottom line, if everything is the same tempwise and husbandry and the snake isn't losing weight or acting weird or looking/acting ill, I wouldn't worry about it and just try and offer every couple weeks or so. Going a month without food even in a 500g BP isn't going to hurt it here and there plus trying to offer food too often can actually upset the snake and cause more harm than good.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Dottie is doing the same. She has refused 2 meals so far but she is also an adult now so i'm chalking it up to the time of year. Thank god I got 2 boas though who love to eat so they alternate between being the garbage disposal every couple weeks. I'm probably just gonna start offering Dottie food every month so the boas don't end up getting overfed although both of them don't mind an extra rat every month. I personally just feed my BP every 2 weeks or so, not every week which a lot of people seem to like to feed them.

Bottom line, if everything is the same tempwise and husbandry and the snake isn't losing weight or acting weird or looking/acting ill, I wouldn't worry about it and just try and offer every couple weeks or so. Going a month without food even in a 500g BP isn't going to hurt it here and there plus trying to offer food too often can actually upset the snake and cause more harm than good.
    Excellent post