Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

1 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Aggressive Python

I recently got a rescued Ball Python, and well. He's not the nicest snake i've ever dealt with. I have done allot of work with wild snakes, docile (oak, garter,king ect) and aggressive (Rattle, indigo, copper head,ect). But I have never had a snake meant to be kept in the house. And I also know very little about Ball Python personalities. And yes, I have worked with enough snakes that I know they they all have their own personality. So I want a bit of an educated opinion on how best to take care of, and get along with my new friend. Also I named the most ornery snake possible "Mittens".

First off, he is a rescued snake. And I strongly believed that his previous owners underfed him and constantly teased and harassed him to make him as defensive as he is. I hate saying that he is mean, because I know he was mistreated. But he is very hostile.

First thing I did when I got him was research, found this post. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...us)-Caresheet& . And followed it as closely as I could.

I had him checked out for any infections or diseases, And I get him fattened up a bit. He has no problem eating at all. I feed him thawed mice and his strike is so hard I think the mouse is half swallowed before he hits the ground. I have the tank very strictly regulated temp and humidity, proper hides. And also I noticed that he is very active at night and likes to climb. So I added a few small white oak branches cut cleanly, the cut ends rounded off to prevent any snagging or scratching. And I actually think adding something for him to climb on calmed him down a bit.

The problem is whenever I try to change his water or move him to clean his tank. I can't get anywhere near him without him striking. It's not really a problem to me because I am used to handling aggressive snakes. But I know that a ball is normally calm and pretty docile. Mittens won't curl into a ball. His first reaction is to strike. And I know it's from his previous owners, I just want him to feel a bit safer and calm down a bit.

P.S. Sorry for terrible typing, My left wrist is broke. Can't really use my fingers. I edited as best I could.

Thanks

Re: Aggressive Python

That's very sad he was treated Bad.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks
    Happy to hear that guy found a good home. Generally they're calm and docile snakes, but that's not always the point. They striking in two cases, fear or hunger. I have a 3y old female who's able to strike 6 times in 5 seconds when I open her cage, but I don't handle my snakes just if I clean or move them. If he settled in within few weeks, the best what you can do is patience, and handle him every 2-3 days. Before you change the water, touch him. That makes him recognize you're not food. Look at the age and the weight of your snake to make sure you give the proper size and weight food item, like this he have less reasons to struck in you.
    And for me.. Sorry for the grammar. The English is not my native language.

Thanks
    Welcome. Sounds like you've got a feisty one... it's unfortunate that the snake has been conditioned this way, but in time, I think you may be able to bring it around. Here is what I would do...

1. Make sure his husbandry is all in check. Good temps, good humidity, good hides, in a low-traffic area and if he's in a glass tank, cover two or three sides of the tank. These will all reduce extra stress.
    2. Don't try to pick him up and be his friend just yet.
    3. Any time that you go into the cage, use hand sanitizer (stick with the same kind/brand for a while). This does two things. Keeps any bacteria from getting in there, and also conditions the snake to associate that scent with no harm. Some say this doesn't make much sense, but I believe in it.
    3. When you do change his water, or clean his tank, try to touch him as stated above, just a little soft petting from the side or back, not from the front.

Remember, it probably took a long time to get him this hostile, so it will probably take him twice as long to get calmed back down and to a trusting temperament again. Best of luck.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

SaintV (01-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    While ball pythons are typically docile snakes, you can end up with a few outliers; I have a couple of females that will strike when the tub is opened. They can be picked up - carefully, if you distract the end that bites with something like a hook or paper towel roll while you use your other hand to scoop them up mid-body. Even once in-hand they don't relax and move around, they stay stiff and tense and will continue to strike at movements and shadows. They are just super-defensive and while they will never be pets, they have improved with careful handling - but they still have their moments and the process to settle them down took months.

The striking may also be a food response, especially if he was starved by his prior owners, and it sounds like he's definitely hungry and feeding regularly. Giving him a light touch with a hook or empty paper towel roll can break that. The hand sanitizer idea is a good one, I've found that my critters food response seem turned off by lemon.

Otherwise you may just have to pick him up, hold him for a bit, and put him back only when he's acting chill. Eventually he'll learn that you're not a threat (or food) but it sounds like he's got a lot of conditioning from his prior owners to overcome.

Thanks

The hand sanitizer suggestion makes sense, especially if you have other snakes. Our carpet pythons and milk snakes are definitely not happy about other-snake smells on hands.

Sent using software and hardware
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (01-02-2016)

Thanks

I want to give a bit of an update. As I have always worked with wild snakes, I have never thought of using hand sanitizer. I know that a snake such as a milk snake will be very nervous if I have recently handled a coral snake. They smell the dangerous snake and attempt to fight or flee. But I never had the idea to condition a snake to a certain scent. I have started using a mild some kind of berry hand sanitizer and I think it's helping.

But the biggest thing I think helped was that I changed his name. And I really wish that sentence was a joke. I changed his name from mittens to Leviathan (because of aggressiveness) and I think we really underestimate the abilities of snakes to understand when we speak.

So, he still ain't the nicest snake ever. But becoming much easier to handle.

Thanks
    LOL... whatever works! Glad he's calming down a little for you.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe