Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,039

1 members and 1,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,583
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cage size for adult carpet?

I have a young jungle jag male and due to an unexpected Christmas gift, I might be able to go ahead and buy him his final adult-size cage earlier than expected. According to his breeder, his mother is 75% iJ jag and his father was a 25% diamond zebra.

I'd like to know what size of caging you keep your adult carpets in and whether a shorter (lenghtwise) and taller cage is better than a longer cage that is not as tall. My boas will all be housed in T10s with shelves in them (4'x2'x 14" tall) but I'd like a taller cage for the carpet so he can perch more easily... That said, I don't know if my spouse would be ok with spending the amount of $$ it would take to get a 4'x2'x2'... So I'm considering a 3' x 2' x 18" or 2', but am unsure if that is enough space and also unsure if a 3' AP cage will easily stack on top of a 4' cage.

I'd greatly appreciate input from anyone housing adult carpets.
    Thanks for your time and help!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I'd advise a 4'x2'x2' or taller tbh, carpets are semi-arboreal and seem to appreciate a nice arboreal cage, but they should still have adequate floor space.

The rule I use for my snakes is Length+Width is greater than or equal to the snake's length, and I provide no less than 18" for terrestrial and semi-arboreal snakes, and prefer 2' of height. This is a very good, universal rule to use for most species, with only slight changes depending on species. Such as active diurnal snakes getting cage lengths equal to or longer than their length, rather than Length+Width, and arboreal snakes getting 2'-3' of height, etc.

(Edit to add these are all minimums for me.)
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 12-27-2015 at 04:34 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-28-2015),Gio (12-27-2015)

Thanks
    It's likely 3x2 will be enough. The snake's genetics are 25% big snake (coastal/diamond) and 75% smaller snakes (jungle/IJ). Of course, with 4 ssp in the mix anything is possible. I keep adult jungles and jungle jags in AP T3, 3x2x1.

Thanks
    Thanks for your replies! I will do some more browsing on APs website before I make my decision.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,505 Times in 2,693 Posts

Re: Cage size for adult carpet?

I think a 4x2x2 is ideal for adult carpets but a 48x24x15 or 36x24x18 would both work well too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 2,990 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I'd advise a 4'x2'x2' or taller tbh, carpets are semi-arboreal and seem to appreciate a nice arboreal cage, but they should still have adequate floor space.

The rule I use for my snakes is Length+Width is greater than or equal to the snake's length, and I provide no less than 18" for terrestrial and semi-arboreal snakes, and prefer 2' of height. This is a very good, universal rule to use for most species, with only slight changes depending on species. Such as active diurnal snakes getting cage lengths equal to or longer than their length, rather than Length+Width, and arboreal snakes getting 2'-3' of height, etc.

(Edit to add these are all minimums for me.)
    I really agree with CloudtheBoa's post.

I also think if you go smaller, you'll regret it. I have a coastal cross of some type, moat likely jungle and she is not going to be that small. Remember there are jungle carpets that easily attain 8 feet.

A 48" x 24" x 24" sized enclosure is an excellent cage for most carpets. They will never NOT use the space. I get about 50/50 between ground and perches from my girl. At night, she is all over the perches, by day she will hang in a hide or sit in the open and chill.

Carpet pythons are fairly active as far as boas and pythons go and I highly recommend giving them the space to let them display all their natural behaviors. I can see putting a royal python in a rack or tub, as they are pretty inactive and shy. Carpet pythons, IMO are one of the, if not THE best display snakes out there.

This is a Pro-Line cage from Constrictors Northwest. I made it my #1 display cage and have seen my carpet use all areas of it. I was very happy I went with a good sized cage.

She is a bit over 6 feet long at 2.5 years old and still quite light and thin.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (12-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Cage size for adult carpet?

Gotta agree with Gio and Cloud on all points.

My 5 yr old Coastal moves around in her 4x2x2 as well.

Lizzy

Last edited by Reinz; 12-28-2015 at 01:19 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-28-2015),Yepp (04-06-2020)

Thanks

I'll be getting my two carpets at least 4 x 2 x 2 cages, leaning toward 3' of height for Bruce (jungle).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Well, it looks like the Morelia community prefers 4 ft or larger with height.

To the OP’s original question, floor space is more important than height. Carpets of all kinds will most certainly utilize the height, but it is not a necessity. If I had to choose 3 ft and tall or 4 ft and short, I’d go 4 ft and short. Since you’re looking at AP cages a T10 at 48x24x15 is only $20 more than a T3 36x24x12. Once you go to a 4 ft 18 in or taller cage, the price escalates dramatically. If you want to go there, you can get 24 tall for only a $9 more than an 18 tall. It comes down to personal preference. If you have the space and are so inclined, large display cages are nice.

The thing is no one knows how large this snake will grow. if it maxes out at 6 ft (which is my expectation, though I wouldn’t be shocked to be wrong about that with diamond/coastal in the mix) 3x2 is enough. But 4 ft and taller would by no means be overkill. And if the snake exceeds my expectations, 4 ft will be necessary. I don’t buy adult cages for youngsters, I grow the cage with the snake. A carpet python would probably go through 5-6 cages before moving to its permanent home.

Gio, as for JCP easily hitting 8 ft, I must disagree. Can they hit that? Yes, they can. It’s pretty rare, I’d put that in the same in the same category as humans can hit 7 ft tall. I’ve had over 50 carpet’s in my collection at one time or another over the past 2 decades. 16 of them were/are “pure” JCP. Many of those JCP have hit 6 ft, none have come close to 8. “pure”/high% coastals/diamonds/dci will easily hit this mark. The only jungle cross I’ve had that hit 8 ft is a 75% diamond.

Also for Gio, you are certainly correct about not keeping carpets in tubs. I keep hatchlings in tubs, but nothing else. They just come flying out as soon as you crack it open!

Also, for the OP, yes a 3 ft AP cage will stack atop a 4 ft without problem as they are the same depth. You just won’t be able to line up the stacking pins.
    Last edited by DennisM; 12-28-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I can't spell

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-28-2015),Yepp (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 2,990 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Well, it looks like the Morelia community prefers 4 ft or larger with height.

To the OP’s original question, floor space is more important than height. Carpets of all kinds will most certainly utilize the height, but it is not a necessity. If I had to choose 3 ft and tall or 4 ft and short, I’d go 4 ft and short. Since you’re looking at AP cages a T10 at 48x24x15 is only $20 more than a T3 36x24x12. Once you go to a 4 ft 18 in or taller cage, the price escalates dramatically. If you want to go there, you can get 24 tall for only a $9 more than an 18 tall. It comes down to personal preference. If you have the space and are so inclined, large display cages are nice.

The thing is no one knows how large this snake will grow. if it maxes out at 6 ft (which is my expectation, though I wouldn’t be shocked to be wrong about that with diamond/coastal in the mix) 3x2 is enough. But 4 ft and taller would by no means be overkill. And if the snake exceeds my expectations, 4 ft will be necessary. I don’t buy adult cages for youngsters, I grow the cage with the snake. A carpet python would probably go through 5-6 cages before moving to its permanent home.

Gio, as for JCP easily hitting 8 ft, I must disagree. Can they hit that? Yes, they can. It’s pretty rare, I’d put that in the same in the same category as humans can hit 7 ft tall. I’ve had over 50 carpet’s in my collection at one time or another over the past 2 decades. 16 of them were/are “pure” JCP. Many of those JCP have hit 6 ft, none have come close to 8. “pure”/high% coastals/diamonds/dci will easily hit this mark. The only jungle cross I’ve had that hit 8 ft is a 75% diamond.

Also for Gio, you are certainly correct about not keeping carpets in tubs. I keep hatchlings in tubs, but nothing else. They just come flying out as soon as you crack it open!

Also, for the OP, yes a 3 ft AP cage will stack atop a 4 ft without problem as they are the same depth. You just won’t be able to line up the stacking pins.
    I say easily hit 8 feet because it is possible but not the rule. It is just something to be aware of as there can be surprises in anybody's collection. MOST carpets in the US are not 100% pure, and even some exceptional jungles from the southern part of their range have made 10 feet according to Nick Mutton. Again, this is the exception and certainly not the rule. I agree with you that a pure jungle from the northern part of their range should be much smaller, and rather lean.

I spent 2 plus hours speaking to Nick Mutton on the phone about 3 weeks ago. Nick seems to also like the 48" x 24" x 24" size.

Both male and female coastal carpets have been found 40 feet into the canopy and jungles are considered one of the more arboreal carpets, so I say the taller the cage the better to an extent, but don't sacrifice too much floor space.

All of that said, Ed Lilley, who also breeds and sells quality carpets and makes the cages I use, will often put some smaller carpets in a 3 foot wide cage. However, Ed makes cages and if he thinks a snake is too large, he can whip up a 4 footer and not think twice.

Can you use a smaller cage? The answer is yes!

IF you want to see your snake preform the wide variety of behaviors it will with a taller, more spacious cage, you should go that route.

If you are limited and can only spend so much, find a compromise that works for you and the snake.

You may want to look into used enclosures, or if you are at all handy, try to build something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast