Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question 40 gallon - Temp questions

My ball python is currently in a 20h tank, I made a custom enclosure around the tank. It has a UTH on a Stat, with a heat lamp on dimmer and a digital thermometer and hygrometer. I have lockable lid with Plexiglas to retain humidity and temps. I do have some humidity loss, but misting once a day keeps it right around 70*.
    I recently acquired a free 40 gallon breeder tank. I am going to make another enclosure surround, and a lockable lid. I’m not worried about maintaining the heating and humidity requirements, but I’d like to see if I can alleviate the need for a heat lamp. What options do I have for UTH to maintain the proper heat in a 40?
    Thoughts and ideas would be great. And I know, tanks are for fish not snakes, but if you can maintain husbandry requirements they will be fine.

Happy Holidays!!!

(Current set up)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

-Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Any uth you ever use will need a thermostat(stat), that's the first thing.

As for a uth heating a tank that is not their purpose. They are intended to give a nice hotspot but do very little for heating the air in the tamp to provide the proper ambient temps.

To do that you will need to use a lamp, rhp, or che. Depending on the temp of the room the cage is in will make those options vary in which will be your best choice.

I still use two tanks for my collection. You can cover some of the open screen in your lid to help hold some humidity. I found that placing moss in the hides and keeping it damp during sheds gave me perfect sheds. If the snake was not in shed I will let it dry out before making it damp again. Its cheap and easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Terrar...s=zoo+med+moss
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull