Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

0 members and 3,226 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Temp help

Thanks

Temp help

Just setup my new rack that I built. My thermometer says 91 ish(exo terra digital) but me temp gun says 86 on the hot spot. Which should I trust?

Thanks
    I am in a similar situation. My infrared reads 90 but my thermometer reads about 95 . I just ordered a few acu rite digitals with probes to hopefully really get the most accurate reading .

Thanks
    Is the vivarium electronics thermometer any good?

Thanks
    I have my thermometer probe taped to bin right on top of the heat tape under the paper towel substrate and reads 91 -92. When using the temp gun on the paper towel I get 86.

Any my ideas or help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You should NOT have any tape in the tubs. Hotglue will work if you must place a thermometer probe in the tubs.

When you place paper towels in the tub they usually create a gap between them and the bottom of the tub. This gap will cause the temp of the tub floor and the top of the paper towels two different temps. To test this you can place something that is heavy on the paper towel so that the towel stays in contact with the tub floor. This should give you a more accurate temp of what you snake will be getting as it rest on the paper towel as it stays in direct contact with the heat source.

Know that you snake CAN get under your substrate and the all the temps in the tub need to be snake safe.

I trust my temp gun and no longer use probed thermometers because they constantly die.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (12-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Temp help

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You should NOT have any tape in the tubs. Hotglue will work if you must place a thermometer probe in the tubs.

When you place paper towels in the tub they usually create a gap between them and the bottom of the tub. This gap will cause the temp of the tub floor and the top of the paper towels two different temps. To test this you can place something that is heavy on the paper towel so that the towel stays in contact with the tub floor. This should give you a more accurate temp of what you snake will be getting as it rest on the paper towel as it stays in direct contact with the heat source.

Know that you snake CAN get under your substrate and the all the temps in the tub need to be snake safe.
    ^^^ What he said.

I trust my temp gun and no longer use probed thermometers because they constantly die.
    Temp guns can be inaccurate. I have one that consistently reads 2.8*F lower than the other four temp guns and IR thermometers that I have. There are directions online to re-calibrate it, but since it's not that easy to do I just wrote on it in indelible marker "+2.8" so I remember.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Temps should be take on the floor of the enclosure NOT on top of the substrate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-24-2015)