Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,375

0 members and 3,375 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question First Time Owner

Hello, I'm looking at getting a Juvenile who has caught my eye. The problem: I'm a first time owner. I've handled loads of snakes but never had the chance of owning until now. The breeder said that the specific Juvenile would have no problems being with a new owner, as long as I did my research (Which of course I always, always do). Should I look into older/matures/adult Ball Pythons? He's 155 grams as of today. I can only find younger Ball Pythons who are in my budget range (I only have a budget range for the snake itself, everything else is handled). Any information helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: First Time Owner

I'd definitely go with a younger animal to start out. It will give you both a chance to grow together in this hobby. Also, younger BPs are much less "set in their ways", so it'll be able to adjust much more quickly to your particular style of care.

My best advice to you, as you're obviously already doing, it to soak in as much information here as you possibly can. Basic BP husbandry really isn't all that difficult so long as you start out on the right direction. The search function is a magical tool.

Also, welcome to the forum!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-20-2015),Popeye (12-20-2015)

Thanks

I do have a bit more questions, if that's alright.

1.) What's the best way to heat the tank from the bottom? I've heard of people using UTHs and Tape/Wire. What would be the way to go (Brands/types)?

2.) I've heard snakes don't mature until they are 3-5, is this true?

3.) If I get a juvenile, what would be the expected time of when I have to upgrade the habitat size? Is starting with a 10 gal. ok?

4.) I live in a high humidity state (73%-100%, loads of rain and not so nice weather), would that make my snake more vulnerable to scale rot and such? How would I go about lowering it? I know to use items that do not raise or hold onto the humidity.

5.) I was told that a 36-inch by 18-inch by 12-inch was suitable for adults. When I do upgrade, would it be okay if the width was off by 6 inches, or would that just make it harder to put hides in?

~From a worried soon to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I would reccomend a snake in the 200g range or larger. Babies can be harder if they decide to go off feed. Larger ball pythons can miss meals for months without harm.

Heat tape is usually very reliable, I'd have to defer to others in brand and sourcing. The most important part is to have a THERMOSTAT to control the heat.

Depending on feed and the individual snake, most will mature in 2-3 years. But they continue to grow for several more years. Many ball pythons will reach the typical size and then level out somewhat unless fed very heavily. They still grow but it's not as dramatic.

A 10g tank should be okay for a while as long as you don't power feed(feed large prey too often). Tubs are better than tanks for holding humidity though, although they don't "look" as nice.

The humidity will lower dramatically in the cage with the heat sources, depending on what type of heat source and what kind of cage. If it's a tank, you probably will not have high enough humidity without covering a lot of the top and such. If the humidity is an issue, you just increase the ventilation and it will dry out the air inside more. In tubs, you just drill more holes. Living in Florida, my humidity stays very high but in the cages, it's always much lower.

You should probably be okay with the adult size. It of course depends on what size your python turns out to be.

Good luck and know that you're doing it right by researching first and getting the snake after.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-20-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (12-20-2015)

Thanks

I have decided to go with a tub. To get myself started, and to know that I am committed and doing this, I have bought an AcuRite thermo-hygrometer (I know that I need more Working on it, aha). I'll take everyone's advice in and continue to learn more. I'm so excited.

Thank you all. I may return with more questions, as you all have been so helpful!
    Last edited by PokeyTheNinja; 12-21-2015 at 01:50 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PokeyTheNinja For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-21-2015)

Thanks
    If you're in need of a indoor and outdoor thermometer with humidity, there's an AcuRite 00891A1 for only $11.29. That's 77% off (According to their supposed usual price of $49.99), plus free shipping! The catch? There's only 1 left! Sorry, for the advertisement but, seems like a steal of a deal.

https://www.blinq.com/detail/home-ga...HBsaAmyP8P8HAQ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Walmart carries those, only the price is about $12-14. I think that site must hike the price up so they can "discount" it. But it is the same model I've used for a while. I also have a temp gun for spot checking.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-21-2015)