Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

0 members and 3,289 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Infrared vs Digital Thermometer Readings

I have one of those Accurite indoor/outdoor probed thermometers in my tank, with the probe directly over my UTH. My thermostat (on/off, probe between UTH and tank) is set to 100 and the accurite usually reads 94-96. However, my infrared thermometer shows the surface temp inside the hot side hide at 87-89. On the cool side, readings from the two thermometers are very similar (low 80s). Substrate is very thin over the UTH area, you can see the heater thru the cypress.

Are these temps ok? Should I be relying on the temp gun for the actual temps? Could the black plastic covered probe be absorbing extra heat from my heat lamp?

Thanks
    The temp gun should be the more accurate out of the 2, how far away are you holding the gun from the surface you are trying to measure, the size of the area it measures gets bigger the farther you get, depending on the ratio of the gun. If you are really close then the area you are measuring is as tiny as a pin point and you would be getting the temp at that spot not over the entire hot spot.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Re: Infrared vs Digital Thermometer Readings

Where is your Accurite probe located? I'd suggest moving the substrate and temping the bare floor of the enclosure where the UTH is so you can figure out the actual temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    The temp gun should be the more accurate out of the 2, how far away are you holding the gun from the surface you are trying to measure, the size of the area it measures gets bigger the farther you get, depending on the ratio of the gun. If you are really close then the area you are measuring is as tiny as a pin point and you would be getting the temp at that spot not over the entire hot spot.
    About 10" with an 8:1 device.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Where is your Accurite probe located? I'd suggest moving the substrate and temping the bare floor of the enclosure where the UTH is so you can figure out the actual temp.

My accurite probe is stuck to the actual glass directly over the t-stat probe. My substrate layer over the UTH is very thin, leaving the probe halfway exposed. I try to keep it slightly covered with the hide's back edge. Maybe the direct contact with the class is giving a higher temp? Yet temps on the cool side are consistent between the two devices.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thanks

The accurite probe should be touching the glass so you're good there. Temp the glass with your temp gun where the UTH is without the substrate and see what the temp is.

0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)