Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

2 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Soaking

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Soaking

I am noticing many of my ball pythons soaking in the water bowls. They are too big to fit in the bowl but will just put themselves part in and spill everything etc.

I have looked all over the snakes and in the water bowls and can not find a single mite. I know they are sometimes hard to see but you would think I'd find at least one? This includes albinos and white snakes, and white water bowls. Can't find a single black speck.

Some have hides some don't, but they weren't soaking before even with no hide.

I did turn on the room heater recently, and it seems it is the section of the two racks it points towards that this is happening, but a few are doing it behind the heater. The humidity is high in those tubs though?

It's not female only either so its not that they are cooling ready to "go".

Any ideas?

Thanks
    If no mites were found the only thing I could think of is temperature. If the room temp went up, then you should not only check the overall temperature of the enclosure, but also use a temperature gun ad check the substrate in the front back and middle and also check any hides. Basically anything that your snake could come in contact with needs to be checked. If everything stays within the safety range for your snakes then do another look around for mites. Even if none is found, treat them with "preventamite" like you would have an infestation. If you never used it before here is a link to a good how-to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CX0Dki0yAA

After that while he is out of the enclosure check for URI (upper respiratory infection) and any dermal defects suck as scale rot or stuck sheds. But most likely the snake is too warm and is trying to cool off. But it is always better to cover all your bases.

Thanks

Re: Soaking

Hi +1 Ghost68

I would take a paper towel and allow the snake to run through it. Do this for all the snakes that are soaking just to make sure no mites are present(use a different sheet for each). Then I would check all the temps like mentioned before. Please don't take me as being a jerk but the product is Provent-a-mite. I only corrected because i made the mistake as preventamite and couldn't find it anywhere lol.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-15-2015)