Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

1 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New Juvenile Ball Python Questions!

So i just got my first ball python, or snake, ever and i have her in a plastic tub, around 15 gallons with the dimensions being around 36x15x8. I have a thermometer, and it says the temp of the cage is around 80 degrees. i don't know if I'm reading the thermometer correct, because it gives me a max and min temperature, and i can't figure out which is the right temperature. But either way, what are some options for heating the cage up more? i am not looking for an expensive solution, cheaper the better, as long as it works. Also i just got her on the 9th, it is currently the 12th, and I've tried to feed her twice but she won't eat. (the breeder i got her from told me she would probably eat by today. The snake just seems uncomfortable and doesn't want to be touched. I am worried she isn't in a comfortable environment. Also her humidity in the cage is around 57% or so it says, again i don't know whether to go by the max or min temperature/humidity. The min humidity is like 37%. If someone could help me figure what I'm doing wrong or what i need to change please let me know so i can get her comfortable as fast as possible! also if there is anything you need to know that i haven't said let me know. Thanks!

Thanks
    You really need to look up Ball Python care sheets. There is a TON of information on how to best take care of these little things. They need an enclosure/tub/cage that has a warm spot, around 90 degrees on the surface, and a cool side, around 80 degrees on the surface. The ambient/air temperature should be in the 80's. Humidity should be between 50 and 60 %. To heat, you NEED a thermostat to regulate your heat source. What are using now for a heat source? These temperatures MUST be very close to these numbers for the well-being of your snake.

If you've only had her for three days, it's likely she isn't ready to eat, especially if her cage conditions aren't ideal. Once you get her temps and humidity all set and steady, give her a few days to settle in. No handling, no feeding, etc.

After that, then try to feed her again, in her tub. I'm guessing she'll be acting like a whole new snake.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

ZacDamon (12-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: New Juvenile Ball Python Questions!

Do you have an under tank heater regulated by a thermostat? That's going to be your best option for heating a tub. Get your temps and humidity dialed in before any further handling or feeding attempts. Also don't try feeding your BP so often, it will only add to the snake's stress. If it refuses a meal try again 5-7 days later. Here are links for inexpensive heaters and thermostats.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C462
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 12-13-2015 at 12:17 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ZacDamon (12-13-2015)

Thanks

Oh man!! Welcome to the forum and happy u are interested but now u need to get into overdrive! Get a thermostat and an under tank heater like yesterday. Your temps should be at around 90 in the hot spot and cold spot around 80 at lowest. As mentioned a hydropharm off Amazon will work at the least for a tstat...next get that humidity up to at least a consistent 50-60% whether that is spraying more or getting a different substrate. The BP is probably not eating because of stress, both by new environment and improper Temps and humidity so get temps corrected and give him/her time to acclimate...make sure u provide ample hides. Please read the care sheets as mentioned before as they have tons of info! Good luck and ask for help when needed
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

ZacDamon (12-13-2015)

Thanks

Im using a heat pad for the heat source and my thermometer type deal is stuck on the "hot" half of the tub. thanks everyone ill have to get a thermostat and a spray bottle. I'm actually thawing a mouse right now to try and feed it but i should put it back until i get my heat temps regulated? I was told by the breeder that she should eat by saturday but that was probably if she was in an ideal situation i think?