Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

1 members and 3,046 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snakes and things that smell

Ok, so I have been holding off from posting this since I was hoping the issue would be resolved by now, but since it isn't I need some advice. I have read that certain things that smell can harm snakes (like candles, incense, glade plug-ins...). Here's my issue: I live in a duplex apartment and we just got new downstairs neighbors about two and a half months ago, and nearly every night, they smoke pot and cigarettes (I'm only assuming it's pot due to the overwhelming skunk-like smell that only happens when they are both home). The smell is so strong that it will wake me up at night. Can this hurt my snake? I assume they can smell odors 1000x better than I can, but I don't know if odor alone is dangerous or it would only effect him if the actual smoke was in our apartment.

I have tried asking them to smoke outside or open windows (they deny that they smoke despite cigarette butts in an ash tray on the porch) and I have complained to the property manager since this is a non-smoking property. I'm just worried that this could harm my snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    I don't smoke and don't know if tobacco or marijuana smoke is harmful to snakes. The few people I know locally who smoke and keep snakes do it outside the house. Can I assume that since this is a duplex, the smokers live below you, and the smell is very strong in your place, that there is little or no insulation between the two levels? Do you share HVAC?

In what manner have you contacted to the property manager and how recent was the complaint? Also, verbal complaints and phone calls really don't "count". A letter is better. A letter to the property owner - if it's different from the management company - may also get results. You can look up the property address on your county's property tax web site to see who owns it. Hopefully it's an individual and not a corporation.

If you still don't get results I would be tempted to send another letter - certified with return receipt requested - stating that the carpeting and paint in your place is picking up the smell from the neighbors, and you will not be held responsible for cleaning and/or replacement costs due to the stench after you move out (which will be at the end of your lease if nothing improves). This is a CYA in case they try to deduct the clean-up cost from your security deposit after you leave.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (12-11-2015),distaff (12-11-2015),Megg (12-11-2015),Reinz (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    If pot isn't legal in your area, you could also register a complaint with the local PD.

Thanks

Re: Snakes and things that smell

I'm doing everything I can on the legal side (both with the property owner and local PD), but in the meantime I just wanted to see if anyone knew if pot smoke coming from another apartment was strong enough to harm my snake. I just didn't want to post the questions "Hey, will pot smoke hurt my snake?" since then all the reply's would have been along the lines of why I was smoking near my snake, when I'm not the one doing it

So far, the rent place isn't being too strict and the police said they can't just search a house if we didn't physically see the marijuana or see them smoking it. They actually told me to call my gas company to make sure it wasn't the propane water heater last time I called them. (Gas tank has been checked twice and all is good)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Snakes and things that smell

I wouldn't worry about it unless your snake(s) get an insatiable appetite and start begging for food nonstop.

Last edited by Reinz; 12-11-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (12-11-2015),blbsnakes (12-11-2015),GoingPostal (12-11-2015),Megg (12-11-2015)

BPnet Veteran AllThatInThemGenes's Avatar
    Thanks

The smell is so strong that it will wake me up at night.
    ^ that sounds like some good stuff! Now, all joking aside, I’m of the opinion that the pot smoking would not be a problem for your snakes. If they were doing it in the room with your animals then maybe but coming from down stairs it’s the smell you’re getting, I really don’t think any of the potency would hold after traveling all that way through the air. if its bothering you (waking you up at night) then I can defiantly understand why you would want to take action.

Are these people downstairs fairly easy to talk to? When you spoke with them about it the last time where they rude to you?

I think going to the local PD is a bit drastic and you may be able to get more with honey in this case. I would speak to them again and simply express your concerns "I keep lots of animals, they are like little children to me and I’m worried that the smoke smell could be effecting them. It’s so strong sometimes it even wakes me up at night! Do you think there is any way you could smoke using a 'spoof', like a paper towel roll filled with dryer sheets that you exhale into? I hate to even ask this but i'm telling you guys, the smell is sooooo strong!"

I think one thing has become very evident in my post, I have smoked ___ for 9 years and have kept reptiles on and off for 10. I have NEVER noticed any negative effects to my animals. That being said I don't smoke anywhere near them. I would be much more worried about the cigarette smoke but in your post it seems like that’s not as much as a bother. Talk to them again, see if they will work with you a little, if they don’t writing the letter to the property manager might also be effective.

stating that the carpeting and paint in your place is picking up the smell from the neighbors, and you will not be held responsible for cleaning and/or replacement costs due to the stench after you move out (which will be at the end of your lease if nothing improves).
    ^ that would get them to look into it...but if it’s not true...I would not do that.
    Balls
    1.0 Banana Super Blast
    1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Pinstripe Enchi
    1.0 Lesser GHI Mojave
    1.0 Banana
    1.0 Pastel OD
    2.0 Banana Spider
    2.1 Spider
    0.1 Black Pastel
    0.1 Queen Bee
    0.1 Chocolate
    0.1 Savanah
    0.1 Bumble Bee
    0.3 Mojave
    1.1 Pieds
    1.1 Albinos
    0.2 Het Albino
    0.2 Cinn
    0.6 Normals
    0.3 Lessers Other: 0.3 Cats - 0.1 Extremely Patient Fiancee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AllThatInThemGenes For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i pretty much agree with what everyone said and don't have anything to add except @ the Reinz post.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (12-11-2015)

Thanks

I'm glad it doesn't seem like something that will effect him. The apartments share a utility closest that holds both HVAC units, so that is where the smell is coming form, and his cage is as far away for there as possible.

Ax01 - The very first time it happened I thought it was a gas leak, since some companies use a skunk-like odor to alert people and I went downstairs to see if they had been cooking or if they had smelled it since I had called the gas company. When they opened the door just a crack to see what I want, the odor hit me like a wall. I still politely asked if they had noticed anything, and they mumbled no and shut the door. Since then, they have avoided us, going so far as to rush inside and shut the door as soon as my fiance or I pull in the drive. I did meet them at the mail box a few weeks ago and just asked if they could open their windows or smoke outside and he said that they didn't smoke and didn't smell anything. I don't care what people do in their own homes, but when it effects me, it's really hard to ignore it. Luckily, our lease is up in a few months and we are looking at moving somewhere nicer.

Reinz- love the picture of the begging snake! I saw that in one of your other posts, Mashadar does the same thing sometimes

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Reinz (12-11-2015)

Thanks

I don't smoke, but do burn incense in my house as long as the smoke doesn't contain cedar oils then it should be fine. My snakes haven't be affected by my incense in the house. Plus ventilation, as long as the smoke itself isn't in the room with the snakes you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaitedappy For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (12-11-2015),distaff (12-11-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So glad I don't live in an apartment any more! We had a similar neighbour from HELL below us. My best day living there, was the day he got (re)arrested for drunk driving.

If they are untruthful about the smoking, they are disreputable in other ways as well.

Agree with letters - needs to be documented on paper, and leave a thick trail!
    Seriously, these people will cause you no end of problems in other ways too.
    Good luck. Sucks, big time to have to deal with crap like this.
    (I am assuming mgt. is ok with the snake? ...best if that was specifically written on your lease.)
    Last edited by distaff; 12-11-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast