Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

1 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Problems getting a shipped snake to eat

I bought a snake online and it was from a reputable breeder. They have all sorts of positive feedback and no negative feedback (I only say this since I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with them). The snake is a 2015 and 300g so I know the snake didn't really have issues eating before. When I got the snake I offered a meal 2-3 days after and it refused (fed the rest of the snakes so I figured I'd try, wasn't expecting much), then every 6 days or so I've offered again. It basically went like f/t weaned, f/t weaned, live weaned (this one was large, probably too large), asf live (was weaned rat size), f/t weaned. The only meal it took was the asf and it did it pretty fast. The other live prey she stalked all the way across the tub but ultimately didn't go for it. She looks at f/t and just seems uninterested.

Now I asked the breeder about their specifics to replicate but it still hasn't worked. He would thaw and then lay on some heat tape plugged into the wall for a set amount of time. I tried that and no luck. I've also tried a small space heater (used it like a hair dryer), multiple hot water soaks, zombie dancing, leaving it in the tub and the other common f/t methods. The only thing I haven't tried yet is scenting the f/t with asf or mouse bedding.

So my question, is this normal for a snake after being shipped? I haven't tried touching the rat against her much while offering just because I figured she's stressed out from the journey and a f/t mouse tapping on her doesn't seem like she'd enjoy it. Is it typical for shipped snakes to fast like this or to become more picky about food when stressed? I'm glad I have a reptile store somewhat near me to buy asf from since that seems to work for her, but it's also just a pain to worry about them having the right size.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Normal? Well it depends on the animal some, most will do just fine upon arrival some will not, the good news is that she is 300 grams so I would not be overly concerned.

Make sure your husbandry is optimum, have her in the smallest lowest tub you have available (if you have a 6 quarts or V18 that would be perfect), no handling, offer once a week only.

Sometimes with BP there is not always a reason that just what they do.
    Deborah Stewart