Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Rats eat out of certain things?

OK guys, so I recently just got into the rat breeding business to save money from buying rats because I have to feed 33 snakes just about every week. And I was wondering, when a mother has gave birth, and I separate her into a 16qt plastic sterlite type container, would she chew out? I have almost 15 separate mothers who just gave birth just this past week. I know I separate them from the males of course, but just to keep the other females and any illness away, could I separate the mother and babies in a tub without her chewing out of it?

Thank You, and have a great day/night!
    Hatchling For Sale:
    2.2 100% Het Pied 66% Het Albino
    0.1 Normal
    Hatchling Hold Backs:
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Albino 100% Het Pied
    Sub-Adults:
    0.4 100% Het Albino 50% Het Pied
    0.1 Albino Het Pied
    0.1 Mojave Het Pied
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Lesser
    1.0 Banana
    1.0 BumbleBee
    Proven Breeders:
    0.1 Pied PHet Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Het Albino 50% Het Pied Paradox
    0.5 Het Pied
    0.1 Mojave
    0.2 Normal
    1.0 Pied Het Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Pied
    1.0 DHet Pied Albino
    1.0 Pinstripe
    Eggs In Incubator:
    8 eggs- 1.0 Albino Het Pied X 0.1 Het Pied
    3 eggs- 1.0 Albino Het Pied, 1.0 Pied Het Albino X 0.1 Albino
    3 ASF Breeding Colonies
    2 6-Tub Rat Breeding Racks

-- Message for inquiries--

-- Royal Reptiles --
    903-413-8841
    dylanwroberts9@yahoo.com
    Havelock, North Carolina
    ! WE SHIP !

Thanks

Re: Rats eat out of certain things?

firstly i am new to rats as well. i just got my rack built, so far i have not seen them chew anything as long as ample food is at their disposal, however we had a male and female in a tank with a plastic hide and they were hungry and ate the hide. so i would say keep them with more food then they can eat at one time between your check ups on them (most people i read suggested 3 day supply in a hopper or some other feeding system) the food in a bedding makes the bedding get more dirty, can produce bacteria which will feed on the food and make it stink more. if your going to use tubs i have seen some who use the latched tubs with a hole cut in the top and a custom screen made of hardware cloth (wire screen that is made for forming building projects) at lowes its in the garden supply/cement bag section. you can make a dip in the wire mesh that will hold the food and they can eat it through the mesh. depending on food size you have to gauge what size of holes to have. this also allows you to have your water go in so that can be a factor on mesh size.

if you wish to build a rat rack (which i found to be much easier to maintain). there are many plans online and videos on youtube. just make sure you get as tight as a fit as possible to prevent escapes between the tub and wire frame above it. 3 weeks with the rat rack so far and the only issues i have is the water system which i posted on and you commented on so you know about that)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When keeping animals in tubs whether stand alone or in racks the main key to prevent chewing is that there is no groves or ridges. If there are it will be the starting point for you rats to chew their way out and of course once a rat learn to chew it's way out it must be euthanized immediately before he teaches other rats to do so.

You also want to provide a piece of 2 x 4 o they can chew it instead of trying to chew tubs.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (12-06-2015)

Thanks

Re: Rats eat out of certain things?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    When keeping animals in tubs whether stand alone or in racks the main key to prevent chewing is that there is no groves or ridges.
    That is definitely the best way to make sure. Giving them lots of things to chew on also help tremendously. Other than that I say just keep an eye on them, if they find an edge and start gnawing you will have to keep an eye on that area.
    Otherwise tubs should work fine. I've seen rats and hamsters kept in plastic bins with no problem. Large petstores do it all the time.