Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

4 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Baby Ball Python Randomly Stopped Eating

I've got a huge amount of experience with lizards, but none with snakes. I just bought a ball python in october, I've got the husbandry all set up well, and he ate a live adult mouse about 5 times, then I offered a rat pup and he wouldnt take it. So I removed the rat put, waited a few days, and tried again, and he wouldnt take the rat still. So I waited a few days, went to the pet store, got an adult mouse, and offered it, and he wouldnt eat the mouse. I waited a few days and tried the mouse again, and he still wouldnt eat it. I then offered a hopper mouse and he wouldnt take it. After waiting another week I offered a rat pup again, and again no response. I've offered him 2 adult mice and another rat pup since then, and he still hasn't eaten anything since. He hasn't eaten for over a month now, and because he is a baby I'm concerned, especially since he has noticeable weight loss. He seems afraid of the prey which doesnt make sense to me because he was eating live adult mice just fine before. I'm wondering if when I went away for a few days my roommate might have fed him a frozen mouse and now he prefers them? Has anyone heard of a python that refuses to eat live prey? Anyway I'm really getting frustrated now because I don't want the animal to die but he's giving me such a hard time. Also, all of the rat pups that I bought died within two days, despite me providing them food water and shelter. Does anyone know why these rat pups die so easily or what could be causing it because it's a huge waste of money for me to be constantly wasting live rat pups.

Thanks

Re: Baby Ball Python Randomly Stopped Eating

As far as the rat pups go, depending on their age, they would still be on milk. In order to keep them alive, (if their eyes aren't open yet, or if they have just recently opened) then they would need bottle or syringe fed every few hours 2.5 - 4 hours depending on age. Also, they need to be kept warm and after every feeding stimulated to use the bathroom as they can't go on their own. When I've raised rats, I've kept them in the plastic critter keepers on tee-shirts, had the cage set 1/2 on 1/2 off a small heating pad. If I remember right, around this age I was feeding every 2-3 hours all day and every 4.5 over night, they would take around 2-5 mls, again depending on weight and age. I used the fox valley "day one 32/40" formula.

If their eyes are open and they can move around well on their own (hoppers) then they still need formula but it can be offered in a shallow dish and mixed with baby cereal to make a thin gruel (if they don't eat it, you'd have to syringe feed), and also given fruit and veggie human baby food.

Weaned rats can eat solids, fruit, greens, rodent block, water, etc and as long as the room isn't too cold, they can regulate their own body temperature

Hope this helps a little. I haven't had a snake long enough to help with the not eating part. Good luck
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 12-06-2015 at 01:24 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Baby Ball Python Randomly Stopped Eating

Have you triple checked the temps haven't dropped?

What weight/ sex is the snake?

If you run us through the feeding routine maybe we could suggest a few tweaks that might help?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.