Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

0 members and 3,240 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: First Time

Thanks

First Time

So, yeah. First time "breeder" here. I have a normal female ready to go (1423g last weigh in empty belly, 11.23) and a pastel yellowbelly male who's sitting on 780g last i checked, again 11.23.

I know normals aren't a desirable result and i know the other possibilities arent high end either. However, it will be my first time, and i do want the experience before touching base with high ends just so i have experience.

I have the funds and means of upkeep for any i have to keep due to lack of interest in them from buyers.
    i also have multiple people who know the possible outcomes of the eggs and they still want an option to purchase a baby if/when they come.

If i throw them in together, i know a lock wont automatically mean "OMG YAY SHES GOING TO LAY EGGS OMG OMG *SPAZZ*" I know it all depends on the female and whether she wants to go and produce.
    I already have 6qt tubs i bought a long time ago (I have been wanting to breed for a couple years now lol...) and if/when she takes if i do go through with it, i'll be getting hatchrite and following a few setup tuts (theres one on here in this board actually i was eyeing). I know that humidity and temps are a big thing no matter what.
    I also have three different ball python breeders around me who are always willing to help (I got my lesser from John, my pinstripe from Gary, and my pastel yb from Eric) if i get stuck on steps.

Are they okay to throw together now? Or should I wait until I can find something more exciting? I don't want to immediately jump into the frying pan of breeding (And i really dont expect to make any money, thats not what im in the hobby for anyway) and try with a higher end combination breeding just to mess up somehow. I want proper experience beforehand, just wondering if y'all think this experience is worth trying for right now with what i have. I'd love to pair him with my yb female but she is not weight ready and i am not putting her at risk. I would never forgive myself if something happened to Osirus. I have two very ready to go breeders right now, and thats my pyb and the normal. Good pairing for my first time?
    1.0 axanthic spider (Skull Kid)
    1.0 banana pastel (Pineapple)
    1.0 killerbee (ObiWan)
    1.0 Piebald 66% het hypo (Potato Ren)
    1.0 Mojave spider (Germany)
    1.0 cinnamon (Leia)
    1.0 calico blast (Kahlee Belle)
    0.1 normal (Joshelinne)
    0.1 yb het hypo(Osirus)
    0.1 Mojave (Mojo)
    0.1 caramel albino (Caramella)
    0.1.0 western hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: First Time

As long as you are prepared for all possible outcomes, which it sounds like you're getting there, then I'd say go for it. Is it the most romantic pairing in the entire world? No. Will it still give you the incredible and irreplaceable experience of producing your very first hatchlings? Yes.

There's nothing like the feeling of having a front row seat to watch a hatchling take its first breath of air - regardless of its paint job.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Nick_bp (12-03-2015)

Thanks

This is my first year breeding and I had 3 eggs just hatch on 2 Dec. 0.1 butter 1.0 normal 0.0.1 pastel. Pairing was a butter pastel x spider. It is an awesome feeling watching your first hatchling leave the egg. It is a great expierence. I say go for it as long as you have space and proper husbandry and food available.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

0.1 Spider
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Butter Pastel het OG
    1.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rhodesian Ridgeback

Thanks

Update;
    Multiple locks have been confirmed (and theyre locked right now actually)

She has been avoiding the hot spot, but has been caught twice now laying inverted over it. Building possibly?

She has shed but that may be her usual shed nothing else has changed. Shes still super sweet and has eaten, and wants to eat again (she told me so!) But she just ate two days ago, ill offer again in three. Shes a pig but she does not need to get fat.

Eagerly awaiting to see what happens.

Johns on stand by and is willing to help me when it comes time if she decides to drop eggs

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    1.0 axanthic spider (Skull Kid)
    1.0 banana pastel (Pineapple)
    1.0 killerbee (ObiWan)
    1.0 Piebald 66% het hypo (Potato Ren)
    1.0 Mojave spider (Germany)
    1.0 cinnamon (Leia)
    1.0 calico blast (Kahlee Belle)
    0.1 normal (Joshelinne)
    0.1 yb het hypo(Osirus)
    0.1 Mojave (Mojo)
    0.1 caramel albino (Caramella)
    0.1.0 western hognose

Registered User StarWarsAndSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is so exciting! Keep updating (so I can know what to except when I decide to dive into breeding!)
    Anyone here advocate for maternal incubation? I raised chickens before and nothing like just letting mom do her thing with the proper conditions, of course.

Not gonna steal thunder here. Excited for stupidzombie! U got thissssssss!! Haha
    3 normals-Saint, Zuma, not named yet
    Pastel-Snoke
    Super Pastel-Phasma
    Spider-Tusken
    Corn-not named
    Pinstripe-not named yet
    Fire-Rey