So I recently started using a freedom breeder rack. Holds 30 tubs. I currently only 6 lvls set up (18 tubs). I was monitoring the hotspot temps in 4/6 rows all day yesterday (had taken the day off work) and noticed some sizable differences in how hot each row was getting. with the tstat set to 89 some rows would get to 90 but others would spike to 103. I spent the day checking things, made several adjustments and was able to get the whole rack to what I considered safe temps (the coldest rows would have hotspots at 84-86 and the hottest rows would get to 96 (they would only be that high for a short period of time as the tstat would turn off for the temps to drop again). i checked the rack this morning before going to work and everything was still within the ranges i just mentioned.

however...I had my wife check the temps before she left to work on the one row had spiked to 130.............she was already late so in a panic i had her;

1. re-set the tstat from 88 to 82
2. move 2/3 of the snakes in that row to the last 2 open spots in my sub-adult rack
3. turn on the oil-filled space heater to 85 (i use that for the ambient temps in my snake room)

I realize i should have had her unplug the rack and just use the space heater until i got home but i had to think quick (again she was late, and does not like messing with the larger females so in a panic i had her do ^)

My questions:
1. does anyone use freedom breeder and has this happened to you?
2. what sort of malfunction could this be....I checked so many times yesterday and some of the rows were getting hotter...but never past 103 and never more than 2 min.
3. Will may snakes be ok today? the tstat prob that controls the rack temps is in a row that functions properly so my thoughts are; hopefully the heat on the rack does not really kick on at all today (room should be 85 and the tstat set to 82). if it does kick on...the row with the tstat will heat to 82 and the malfunctioning rows will heat up more...maybe get to mid 90's but not higher because the rack will shut off so quick.

i know this is a lot to read it has no cute pictures of snakes. I thank everyone who made it this far and would so appreciate any feedback. I'm stressed about the animals!!