Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

3 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Deer Hunting

First let me start by stating that I am an animal lover. I have always enjoyed all animals regardless of Kingdom, Phylum, Class, etc.. I hold mammals, reptiles, birds, etc., at equal status with none being of greater importance than another, simply because of my opinion or passion. Mosquitos and Black Flies are perhaps the only exceptions. I am starting this thread as I would imagine that among our community there may be a number of members who actively participate in deer hunting and would like to share their experiences, success stories, and even those embarrassing stories of the ones that get away. Remember it's called "hunting" not "killing" because often a hunt does not culminate in a successful harvest. I do not wish to be berated for my choice nor do I wish to be converted to a non-hunter so please be respectful of my choice and my privilege to hunt. I will be equally respectful of your choice not to hunt or view this thread if you should find the content to be offensive. If it helps some of you, please rest assured that I do not harvest any animals that I will not process myself and consume. As a matter of fact there are some species that I have hunted once, decided I did not care for the fare, and chose to never hunt it again. It is important to me not to just take the animal for the purpose of a trophy. However, that doesn't mean I would condemn those that choose to hunt just for the sport as that is their prerogative. Game animals are a renewable resource which through proper management should be around for all to enjoy, whether that is simply observing them in the wild or harvesting them and utilizing the bounty at the dinner table.

Thank you for your understanding and with that being said, here is a picture of a deer I harvested this year in mid Michigan. This hunt was bittersweet for me as I had lost my father and best hunting buddy back in August. This was the first season in 38 years we did not hunt together. Some friends of ours that we had hunted with in the past got together with me this season, and with a small ceremony, we spread some of my father's ashes at the old deer camp where we first hunted together in 1977. (Love you and miss you, Dad) I hunted with my father's rifle which you can see in the picture, and his hunting knife. The knife had belonged to his best friend, hunting buddy, and my Godfather, until his untimely passing at a young age due to a car accident back in the late 60's. I was quite honored to have these in my possession and to have been able to use them on this hunt.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking and please feel free to share your stories here.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

das_nooblet (11-30-2015),John1982 (11-29-2015),PitOnTheProwl (11-29-2015),Reinz (11-29-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Venison is delicious.
    Sounds like a lot of good memories with your father.

My father was an avid hunter, mostly ducks. I wanted to go, but I was a girl, so he wouldn't take me.
    BF's young niece goes hunting every year with her father. She got a deer this year herself.
    Last edited by distaff; 11-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I haven't been hunting in quite some time. But one day I'll get back to it. Hunting got a bit expensive as areas the public is allowed to hunt got smaller and farther away.

That's a nice meaty looking buck.

I'll say that I go fishing and will go hunting again. I'm a woman. But I don't let my gender stop me in any way from going out and doing what I want to do. If someone wants to try hunting or fishing, or BMX bikes, mud trails... any of those traditionally "male" activities, they should go out and do it! If you don't like it, you can not ever do it again. But if you do, you've discovered a new awesome hobby.

I haven't ever gone bird hunting. I'm not opposed to it, just no chance to do it. I used to do the local turkey shoots but they made it clear the last time I went that they preferred I go sit with the other girls at the bar, giggling and drinking and looking doe-eyed at the manly men shooting. Personally, I think they were just mad I won a turkey every time I shot.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (12-30-2015),rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Nice deer Riditmars!

I Totally understand your story and feelings.

The woods is like my church and renews my soul. While I did hunt for 40 years, the desire has waned as I got older. I realize that is just me. I never judge my friends that still do. Hunting is very necessary for the ecology and to reduce hunger and diseases to name a few reasons.

That is such an honor that you are able to hunt with the tools that you mentioned.

Enjoy your hunts and thanks for sharing!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (11-29-2015)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 724 Posts
    I hunt, although I'm not a fan of game meat, none goes to waste as most of our pets are carnivores and we can use more of the animal than your average hunter. We take the scraps and leftovers from friends and family that hunt also. This year I worked out of town most of the year, we didn't go small game hunting at all but I did shoot a small buck a few weeks ago at opener. No one else at my shack got one this year, my stepdad, brother, BIL and a couple nephews hunt out there too, my husband didn't feel like it and sat out this year. I love being out in the woods, hopefully next year I will actually get to spend some time out there again.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (12-30-2015),rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: Deer Hunting

Great post and read.
    Condolences to you and your family. Nice buck. I am a bit jealous for our season hear in maine has just ended. Unfortunately I was skunked. Had a few come in right at dark but no shot was possible. Congrats again on you harvest!!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chargethebeach34 For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Thanks

Really nice buck, and a great story. Totally agree with you on hunting as well. Well said. Here in NC, we have a very long season. It opens with bow mid September and closed with rifle on Jan 1st. I have two deer this season that I've split among some friends and a family in need. As for family, my girls both hunt and fish with me. Pretty lucky.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Venison is delicious.
    Sounds like a lot of good memories with your father.

My father was an avid hunter, mostly ducks. I wanted to go, but I was a girl, so he wouldn't take me.
    BF's young niece goes hunting every year with her father. She got a deer this year herself.
    Thank you for your response. Yes, venison is delicious. I have wonderful memories of Dad including duck hunting when I was too young to deer hunt. In MI you couldn't gun deer hunt until you were 14. Today there are many women who engage in the hunting and fishing sports and you shouldn't let gender bias from the past mold your decision today. If hunting is something you'd like to try, then I would suggest you find someone who would be happy to take you and see if it is something you enjoy. Just make certain you pick a mentor that is a responsible hunter and is diligent about safety and fair catch.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I haven't been hunting in quite some time. But one day I'll get back to it. Hunting got a bit expensive as areas the public is allowed to hunt got smaller and farther away.

That's a nice meaty looking buck.

I'll say that I go fishing and will go hunting again. I'm a woman. But I don't let my gender stop me in any way from going out and doing what I want to do. If someone wants to try hunting or fishing, or BMX bikes, mud trails... any of those traditionally "male" activities, they should go out and do it! If you don't like it, you can not ever do it again. But if you do, you've discovered a new awesome hobby.

I haven't ever gone bird hunting. I'm not opposed to it, just no chance to do it. I used to do the local turkey shoots but they made it clear the last time I went that they preferred I go sit with the other girls at the bar, giggling and drinking and looking doe-eyed at the manly men shooting. Personally, I think they were just mad I won a turkey every time I shot.
    Thank you. Yes, deer in the north tend to be larger bodied then the deer here in the south. I now live in Georgia and am quite surprised to see some of the sizes of adult deer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Nice deer Riditmars!

I Totally understand your story and feelings.

The woods is like my church and renews my soul. While I did hunt for 40 years, the desire has waned as I got older. I realize that is just me. I never judge my friends that still do. Hunting is very necessary for the ecology and to reduce hunger and diseases to name a few reasons.

That is such an honor that you are able to hunt with the tools that you mentioned.

Enjoy your hunts and thanks for sharing!
    Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I too find being out in the woods a spiritual experience and revitalizing. I often have seen things having nothing to do with the hunt, that leave me in awe of nature. Once during a slow day of turkey hunting I watched two spiders doing a courtship dance. While deer hunting I once had seen a Bobcat that was hunting for mice. I am very camouflaged and scent conscience when I hunt so when he realized there was something amiss, he was only about 15 feet from me. I could see his eyes darting back and forth trying to spot the source of what he was smelling. He finally decided it better to vacate himself rather than to locate me, and exploded out of there like he was shot from a cannon. It was amazing how fast he ran.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I hunt, although I'm not a fan of game meat, none goes to waste as most of our pets are carnivores and we can use more of the animal than your average hunter. We take the scraps and leftovers from friends and family that hunt also. This year I worked out of town most of the year, we didn't go small game hunting at all but I did shoot a small buck a few weeks ago at opener. No one else at my shack got one this year, my stepdad, brother, BIL and a couple nephews hunt out there too, my husband didn't feel like it and sat out this year. I love being out in the woods, hopefully next year I will actually get to spend some time out there again.
    Thank you. As I said, for me I just like to consume what I take. It sounds as if you have found a great purpose for the meat from the animals you harvest. I know some people will hunt and then donate the meat to shelters or soup kitchens which is a perfection solutions for two situations.

Quote Originally Posted by chargethebeach34 View Post
    Great post and read.
    Condolences to you and your family. Nice buck. I am a bit jealous for our season hear in maine has just ended. Unfortunately I was skunked. Had a few come in right at dark but no shot was possible. Congrats again on you harvest!!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your condolences. I was unable to connect last season so it was nice for many reasons to be able to harvest one this year.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 11-29-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    Really nice buck, and a great story. Totally agree with you on hunting as well. Well said. Here in NC, we have a very long season. It opens with bow mid September and closed with rifle on Jan 1st. I have two deer this season that I've split among some friends and a family in need. As for family, my girls both hunt and fish with me. Pretty lucky.

Dave
    Thank you. I went to MI for this season as I hail from there originally but I now live in Georgia. We have a very similar season and duration. I have three girls and have taken all of them either hunting, fishing, or both. None have continued to hunt but not for any reason other than it was not necessarily their cup of tea. However, all of them love eating venison and fish.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 11-29-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    I'm sorry for your loss, and I bet your father would have had a great time this year. That's a nice buck! I only hunt vicious prey - paper targets. Those things give a nasty cut. However, the only reason I don't hunt game is that I don't care for the taste of most venison... I fully support the benefits of population control, among other things. I love to fish, and now that I'm living in a desert I really miss having fresh and home-smoked salmon on a regular basis. Hatchery fish is just not the same as wild-run - the meat is mushier, and the flavor is odd.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (11-29-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast