Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,358

0 members and 1,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

Question help on choosing what morphs to start up breeding

I am young but have experience with reptiles for many years and have bread corn snakes befor. I want to get into the ball pythons. I really like bananas and have about 800$ to spend on snakes. I was thinking a banana and a pastel. But would like to get 4 to 6 snakes along a 2 year road to breeding. I am looking for baby prices and will wait till right age and weight to breed. Any help on what pairs to get and what would be the best for future projects. Thx

Registered User footballpythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    maybe get maybe a banana het. clown or pied and a pastel het. pied or clown just what i would do

Thanks

Re: help on choosing what morphs to start up breeding

It's really all up to taste and what you like in a morph. Personally if I had $800 and just starting up I'd find a nice 2 or three gene male and a couple of single co-dom females to get going. Of course you could always get a single co-dom male like a Banana and a bunch of normal females to pair him with. There are a million ways to get started. You can even get a couple of albino snakes for that price plus something else. Do your market research and see what sells in your area as well as what you like. For example, no sense raising a bunch of Mojaves if you don't like them and no sense in making Bumble Bees if they don't sell where you live. Just my 2 cents.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

ECechoHO (11-23-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    It's really all up to taste and what you like in a morph. Personally if I had $800 and just starting up I'd find a nice 2 or three gene male and a couple of single co-dom females to get going. Of course you could always get a single co-dom male like a Banana and a bunch of normal females to pair him with. There are a million ways to get started. You can even get a couple of albino snakes for that price plus something else. Do your market research and see what sells in your area as well as what you like. For example, no sense raising a bunch of Mojaves if you don't like them and no sense in making Bumble Bees if they don't sell where you live. Just my 2 cents.

Dave
    EXACTLY, it's up to YOU to determine what YOU want to get/breed...

Thanks
    If you like bananas then get a banana male. I've seen some banana lemonblast males for 400 or less online shipped, so that leaves 400 for females. If you go to shows you could probably buy a bunch of single common co-dom female hatchlings for 50-100, so that's probably 6 decent single gene females or 4 good single gene females (get a bunch of different morphs, don't get a multiples). Just make sure the male banana you get is a male maker.

So take that banana male and mate it to everything. You'll get some cool double gene male bananas and then some more single gene females (and some normal females). Keep the male bananas that are different/better than the dad, you might even want to sell the dad off and just keep multiple males as holdbacks. The cross those with the females. Sooner or later you'll hit a female banana and then you can start on super bananas.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bks2100 View Post
    If you like bananas then get a banana male. I've seen some banana lemonblast males for 400 or less online shipped, so that leaves 400 for females. If you go to shows you could probably buy a bunch of single common co-dom female hatchlings for 50-100, so that's probably 6 decent single gene females or 4 good single gene females (get a bunch of different morphs, don't get a multiples). Just make sure the male banana you get is a male maker.

So take that banana male and mate it to everything. You'll get some cool double gene male bananas and then some more single gene females (and some normal females). Keep the male bananas that are different/better than the dad, you might even want to sell the dad off and just keep multiple males as holdbacks. The cross those with the females. Sooner or later you'll hit a female banana and then you can start on super bananas.
    Yes, the breeding strategy that dropped the price of bananas from the mid 5 figures to barely 3 figures in just a few short years

Take your time, pick out the right snakes for the right project, and go slow. There's no need to churn out a ton of single and double codoms because of .... well, to be honest, I'm not even sure what the endgame is here with this strategy? They'll cost more to feed and house then you'll ever get back. At the same time, you'll undergo all of this work and expense without really advancing any breeding goals more than a specifically chosen single pair would.

Now, throw a visual recessive at a variety of multigene hets and maybe you're on to something

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

benzite (12-02-2015)