Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,400

1 members and 3,399 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Critique/suggestions on my cage setup

I would like some opinions on my cage set up. Here is the basics of what I have:

• Animal Plastics T8 with divider
    • Pro-Products 40 watt RHP's (2)
    • 12" X 2' THG heat tape
    • Flourescent white light fixtures (2)
    • Herpstat 2

My original plan was to only have the heat tape installed and use the two light fixtures to help supplement the ambient temp. I quickly learned that with room temps of 65-68°, this was not happening. I have the heat tape installed in the center of the cage so basically ~6" of heat tape on each side of the divider. I now have the two RHP's flanking each side of the divider. I installed these yesterday and have been playing with thermostat probe placement to get everything working in harmony.

First i tried having the probe in the opposite side of the RHP. RHP thermostat set to 82°, UTH thermostat set to 93°. After a few hours, the Accurite probe (hot side) was 91°. Cool side was 82°. However, when shot with heat gun, hot side floor was 95° cool side floor was 84°. The RHP itself was 130° or so.

I lowered the temp of the UTH to 87°, RHP to 80°. Temps lowered slightly after a couple hours on the Accurite to 92° hot, 79° cool. Heat gun read 94° hot, 82° cool.

So so now I moved the probe to right under the RHP on the cage floor and set it to 90° UTH I kept the same. I'm waiting to see how it levels out, but I am thinking of ditching the heat tape and just running the two RHP's. This way I can just use the Herpstat 2 and hold off on buying a second thermostat.

Any any thoughts on this?

Also, for those of you running both RHPs and heat tape, what do you use as your thermostat set points and where are you putting the thermostat probe for the RHP?

For those of you running just RHPs, what thermostat setting are you using?

Thanks everyone!

Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Thanks

Re: Critique/suggestions on my cage setup

I was running UTHs and RHPs for each terraruim but now I run only RHPs. From what I learned on here, all you really need is ambient heat. Plus, I've been doing a lot of my own experments and my snakes don't react any differently to the UTH hot spots.

I keep the ambient temps in all enclosures at about 80-82. They fluctuate a bit depending on how the warm/cool the room gets but the fluctuations are usually about +/- 4 degrees.

I drilled small holes and put the probes through them.

This setup has been working pretty well for me so far. The probes don't get moved by the snakes either.

In regards to my setup, I have three Animal Plastics terrariums (T12, T10 & T8), two are divided. I have 2 Herpstat 4s controlling all the RHPs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 11-19-2015 at 02:46 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

bproffer (11-19-2015)

Thanks

So I checked my temps again this morning and hot side was reading 91, cool side 79 on the Accurite. The IR heat gun reading was 94-95 on the floor of the hot side, 82 on the floor of the cool side. I am not sure why I am getting such a difference between the Accurite and the IR heat gun.

Is 95° too hot? I think tonight when I get home I am going to try without the heat tape and see how that works. I really need to get some plants or something to take up space in there. It looks so sterile and boring.

Thanks

95 is about as hot as I would be comfortable going, but I wouldn't say that it's TOO hot.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Megg For This Useful Post:

bproffer (11-19-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bproffer View Post
    So I checked my temps again this morning and hot side was reading 91, cool side 79 on the Accurite. The IR heat gun reading was 94-95 on the floor of the hot side, 82 on the floor of the cool side. I am not sure why I am getting such a difference between the Accurite and the IR heat gun.

Is 95° too hot? I think tonight when I get home I am going to try without the heat tape and see how that works. I really need to get some plants or something to take up space in there. It looks so sterile and boring.
    Your Accurite model (00891w3) has a tolerance of +/- 3 degrees at 81-105 temp range. So it totally makes sense why it's reading 91. When you're buying a thermometer, always check their accuracy on the manufacturer's website.

In regards to the heat tape, 95 is too hot. I'd say maximum 92. 90 would be even safer in case of any fluctuation.

Yea, the plants really jazz up the terrariums. They are a pain to wash when they get soiled though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 11-19-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)