Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

3 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: UTH question

Thanks

UTH question

Just bought a couple of UTHs to get through the winter (my house gets very cold and I fear that the heat lamp set-up I have now won't keep the cage temps where they need to be).

The way my vivarium is set up, I'd ideally like to place the UTH on a shelf beneath the glass tank (40 gal aquarium that came with the snake) so that I can easily remove the tank when needed for cleaning without having to remove and replace the UTH. However, in doing so, it would leave about an inch of space between the UTH and the glass floor of the tank... would this severely reduce the effectiveness of the UTH? My guess is yes, but figured I'd ask.

Also, I've seen some discrepancies about where is the best place to put the thermostat probe... sandwiched between the tank and the UTH, on the outside of the UTH? Do any of you have preferences for accurate temp readings?

Any advice would be super great, thanks!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

An inch would be pushing it.
    I would take the wax paper off and stick the pads to aluminum foil.
    Then you use foil tape to secure to tank.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: UTH question

Quote Originally Posted by ermsauce View Post
    Just bought a couple of UTHs to get through the winter (my house gets very cold and I fear that the heat lamp set-up I have now won't keep the cage temps where they need to be).

The way my vivarium is set up, I'd ideally like to place the UTH on a shelf beneath the glass tank (40 gal aquarium that came with the snake) so that I can easily remove the tank when needed for cleaning without having to remove and replace the UTH. However, in doing so, it would leave about an inch of space between the UTH and the glass floor of the tank... would this severely reduce the effectiveness of the UTH? My guess is yes, but figured I'd ask.

Also, I've seen some discrepancies about where is the best place to put the thermostat probe... sandwiched between the tank and the UTH, on the outside of the UTH? Do any of you have preferences for accurate temp readings?

Any advice would be super great, thanks!
    Many breeders feel belly warmth is better than above heat anyway. And that it is important for digestion. I know my ball after eating goes right to the warm side and stays there. You still have to keep the room temp or ambient around 78-82 I recommend putting the UTH tight up against the bottom of the tank. And as you said the probe sandwiched between. I used gray duct tape to tape the probe and the UTH to the bottom. Aluminum tape might be better not sure about that, but anyway I wouldn't advise any space. I don't worry about moving the tank when I clean and if I cleaned the bottom I would use disinfect wipes for the outside. For the inside I scoop out the substrate and vacuum the last bit. I use vinegar and water and papertowels to clean the inside. You can use a bleach and water mixture too (and there are also cleaners people on here can recommend too) then I wipe out the inside with dry paper towels real good but you shouldn't have to move the tank much at all or worry about the UTH attached to the bottom.