Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

1 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Yes, a thermostat will work with any type of heating device that doesn't have moving parts (the on/off or pulsing action of a thermostat will burn out motors).

Personally, I am not a fan of using human heating pads, water bed heaters, foot warmers or whatever else to heat an animals enclosure. Those things really aren't designed to be on 24 hours a day 7 days a week for months or even years at a time. They are designed to be used for a while and then turned off. The long term constant running of those devices has probably never been tested by the manufacturer and could become faulty or hazardous when run constantly for long periods of time.

Bulbs, ceramic heat emitters, radiant heat panels, heat mats, flexwatt (my favorite), etc, have all been designed and manufactured to be run constantly for extremely long periods of time. IMO they are a much safer way to go.

Please be careful.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Alright, maybe I'll just use it to heat my crickets. DIE FOUL INVERTEBRATES!

Or maybe not.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I agree that human heating pads aren't designed to be on 24/7, but I'm sure manufacturers test them in that manner to test for longevity/safety.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks

Sydney Says, "Pet me PLEEEEEAAAAASE!!"

Quote Originally Posted by sophie42204
    I agree that human heating pads aren't designed to be on 24/7, but I'm sure manufacturers test them in that manner to test for longevity/safety.
    Are you "sure" or are you guessing? I would guess that they do some type of safety testing as well, but I can't imagine it would be for greater than a year? or two years? Ball pythons live a LONG time and how often would you think you'd need to change out a human heating pad? I've never heard anyone that recommends using human heating pads give an estimated life span? But I certainly have heard of human heating pads developing hot spots or just altogether not working anymore.

Things like flexwatt on the other hand have been running in some captive collections constantly (give or take a day or two here and there) for at least the last 15 years if not more. This is because they were designed to be used that way. That's not to say that they are not foulable as well, but all things being equal, I'd rather go with the product that was designed to be used in the manner that I am going to need it.

Just my $.02

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    lol...not trying to start a debate here...I was just saying that I would venture a guess that they test in terms of leaving it on until it burns out--so to speak. I work for a manufacturer of full-spectrum lighting and the fixtures that house our bulbs/tubes, our lamps are not intented to be left on 24/7 but we sure do test them in that manner. They are left on until they go out by themselves, for longevity testing AND safety testing. I am currently using human heating pads, one has already gone out on me. I have been looking into heating elements made specifically for housing snakes/reptiles, I just haven't made any purchases yet. However, I won't discourage anyone from employing this (human heating pad) method either, as long as it's monitored as any heat source should be.

Just my $.02
    ~Caren~
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines

Thanks
    Hey, no debate here, just trying to understand and discuss. If you did have actual knowledge of how human heating pads are tested I think it would have been extremely useful to a lot of people using them.

Hopefully the companies manufacturing those heating pads are as responsible and thorough as the company that you work for.

Like you, I also would never discourage anyone from doing anything that worked out well for them and their snake, no matter what it was. Although, I do know what I personally do and do not like to do for my animals and like to contribue my experiences and opinions (even if sometimes they aren't all that popular). :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-adam

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I wonder where we could find out that kind of info...I'm intrigued. If I find anything I'll be sure to pass it along.
    ~Caren~
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines

Thanks
    That would be awesome!

-adam

Thanks
    i brought this up a while ago. main problem would be, that a waterbed heater turns on when it gets to cold, but it just keeps heating up, theres no stopping until it reaches that amount of heat. they just get to hot
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    Thanks

Friendly reminder about contests...

i have one and i was thinkin bout usin it too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast