Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

4 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Why is he so active?

Ok so I have had my little BP for about a month and am still learning new things with this cute guy
    Well my fiance got him from a pet shop and they have fed him and his sibilings one feeder mouse each Monday. So we picked that up as well and now he is starting to become accustomed to know Mondays are feeding days!
    So he eats well, digests well all the time.

I have noticed something though. He is finally getting comfortable within the room and tank he is in. He loves his branch! As well as his home But i noticed he really doesn't hide much and tends to stay exposed. When I go to handle him he , of course tenses up duh but then he gets relaxed and wants to explore! I have researched and found these guys are curious snakes and love to take a look around. One cool thing i like to watch is him raising himself high to see Kinda like this bottom picture here:

So anyways his temperatures and humidity levels stay right in the good levels: 80-86 degrees with a 50%-60% humidity level
    We do have a basking bulb and that side stays at about 90-92 degrees

Though as i notice him getting comfy...Hes starting to just slither all around his cage sniffing and climbing onto things, slithering in and out the bowl (not soaking just slithering in and straight out) and using it as a way to raise himself towards the top. Seems my little boy is finding out the top of the tank ( I do have two top clasps that clamp down the top as to keep him from pushing out) He goes in and out of his house that he has, up and down his branch climbing around. Stretching waaaaaaaay up to the top to peek at the top. It is as if he "wants out" and wants to explore? Though i am a first time snake owner so i just want to make sure this is an ok behavior. See he only did this on Sundays because , like i said, he knows the next day he is gonna get fed. Now he is doing it a lot like hes comfortable with his environment and wants to go out. When I handled him for little bit (about 10-15 min ) he just sat up like the above pic and just wanted to GO as in explore and slither away.

Is everything ok? He seems to be digesting the mouse faster with each feeding and i feel he may need to be fed more but I am not so sure. He is still just a baby and we feed him once a week. I can't tell if hes hungry again or just wanting to get out. Any suggestions? According to my fiance he seems to do it a bit during the day too. Could he be growing? How fast of a rate do they grow to where I need to add in an extra mouse or just get a bigger one? I hope I gave enough information.

Thanks
    I really want to know too! I've only gotten mine 3 weeks ago and he's been doing this for the last week. He almost got out once and just keeps going around looking over everything and pushing at the top. He seems to only do it the few hours during the evening and at night.

I've read that lifting the head is a way to search for food ? Though I am not certain where I've read that.... and they being nocturnal would explain the night escapades.
    Fall 2015 :
    "I'll only get one" I said, cuddling a bp hatchling "See how it goes"
    Two months later :
    2 adults, 2 juveniles and 1 bci.
    "Oops"
    Next month :
    Conquering the world

Thanks

Re: Why is he so active?

Quote Originally Posted by Ufoo9k View Post
    I really want to know too! I've only gotten mine 3 weeks ago and he's been doing this for the last week. He almost got out once and just keeps going around looking over everything and pushing at the top. He seems to only do it the few hours during the evening and at night.

I've read that lifting the head is a way to search for food ? Though I am not certain where I've read that.... and they being nocturnal would explain the night escapades.
    Thank goodness mine is still a little one and can't push real hard try as he might. Quite entertaining watching him try but man I tell ya all he does is push into the glass looking for a way out. I mean he rested after eating but then POOF activeness on the run. Slithering back and forth with that tongue action wanting out. See I just walked up to him and freeze....he now is a stick thats what we say anytime he freezes and we always say "Roush we know you're not a stick"