Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,681

2 members and 2,679 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Yet another T5 UVB discussion...

So...

I got a T5 reptisun 48 inch light. It came with a 5.0 bulb. Several people have told me this is fine and others say go buy a 10.0. WHO IS RIGHT!?

So the variables here, the light is over a screen, the light has a reflector. Currently the basking spot is 15 inches from the light but this can be changed. The light to the bottom of the terrarium is 24 inches.

So options are

1) Stick to what I have
    2) Stick to 5.0 but move the screen
    3) Get a 10.0 and keep the screen

I know this is talked about a lot but what options will get me ideal UVB? I feel people have very strong feelings about the 10.0 bulb but with these new T5 bulbs all reptile breeders are telling me the 5.0 is enough now.

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Re: Yet another T5 UVB discussion...

I use the 10.0 for my dragons, from the dragon breeders I talk to, this is an industry standard for them and desert animals in general. I have a 5.0 on my panther chameleon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    We use a gnarly power sun bulb. But most places im members on say add 5% uvb power for screen tops.

Any way you can strap the light to the bottom of the screen? Or in the tank? Thatd fix ya up i think.

Btw be careful with the t5. Its in general light intensity may cause eye issues. Tell #1 will be them looking like they have bags(dark rings) under their eyes. Personal experience there(insert long sigh)
    Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 11-05-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Mclaughlin View Post
    We use a gnarly power sun bulb. But most places im members on say add 5% uvb power for screen tops.

Any way you can strap the light to the bottom of the screen? Or in the tank? Thatd fix ya up i think.

Btw be careful with the t5. Its in general light intensity may cause eye issues. Tell #1 will be them looking like they have bags(dark rings) under their eyes. Personal experience there(insert long sigh)
    I think I am just going to cut the screen in the area the light is. If there are eye issues with the T5, then I think with my distance, the 5.0 will be best, help avoid eye issues.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think there's sometimes a tendency to over UVB for indoor enclosures. As Kris mentioned, there can be problems from over exposure. I use 5.0 for silkbacks and sometimes for translucents depending on the set up.

If you're able, the best thing you can do is to set up a temporary outdoor pen or cage that they can use to get a couple hours of unfiltered sunlight during summer. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive... I built one years ago out of some mismatched plywood scraps and leftover hardware cloth.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons; 11-05-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    I think there's sometimes a tendency to over UVB for indoor enclosures. As Kris mentioned, there can be problems from over exposure. I use 5.0 for silkbacks and sometimes for translucents depending on the set up.

If you're able, the best thing you can do is to set up a temporary outdoor pen or cage that they can use to get a couple hours of unfiltered sunlight during summer. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive... I built one years ago out of some mismatched plywood scraps and leftover hardware cloth.
    Thanks, I believe that too, especially if you feed a multivitamin with D3. I think I am sticking with the T5 5.0 with the screen off, if problems occur ill upgrade to a 10.0. He loves to climb and I dont want to deprive him being able to climb, as min distances to a 10.0 are hard to reach.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason silkbacks and translucents need less uvb?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maskedburito View Post
    Thanks, I believe that too, especially if you feed a multivitamin with D3. I think I am sticking with the T5 5.0 with the screen off, if problems occur ill upgrade to a 10.0. He loves to climb and I dont want to deprive him being able to climb, as min distances to a 10.0 are hard to reach.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason silkbacks and translucents need less uvb?
    I don't know that they need less but I think they are more sensitive to UVB. The silkbacks may absorb it in greater amounts, thus needing less and being more prone to damage from intensity. I'm also concerned about the eyes of trans and receiving too much.

I don't know that they have some sort of susceptibility but it's an educated guess, especially with the silks who are prone to skin difficulties, and it's easy enough to provide slightly less UVB in response. I've never noticed the slightest difference in health between these guys receiving 5.0 versus others receiving 10.0 over years of observation.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't know that they need less but I think they are more sensitive to UVB. The silkbacks may absorb it in greater amounts, thus needing less and being more prone to damage from intensity. I'm also concerned about the eyes of trans and receiving too much.

I don't know that they have some sort of susceptibility but it's an educated guess, especially with the silks who are prone to skin difficulties, and it's easy enough to provide slightly less UVB in response. I've never noticed the slightest difference in health between these guys receiving 5.0 versus others receiving 10.0 over years of observation.
    I've always thought that it mattered more in terms of distance to the basking area. Like a 10.0 would be used in a very large enclosure but a 5.0 would be used in smaller ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    I've always thought that it mattered more in terms of distance to the basking area. Like a 10.0 would be used in a very large enclosure but a 5.0 would be used in smaller ones.
    Yes, exactly. The distance from the light to the dragon is what counts, not necessarily the size of the enclosure. The numbers I use are for the unfiltered bulb heights in my own enclosures. Certainly this may change for taller cages or filtered lights.

Thanks

Yes, exactly. The distance from the light to the dragon is what counts, not necessarily the size of the enclosure. The numbers I use are for the unfiltered bulb heights in my own enclosures. Certainly this may change for taller cages or filtered lights.
    Yeah I have a large enclosure but the basking spot is high and close to the light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast