Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

1 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Exclamation Shedding Problems :T

I am new to the blood python scene, and we've been having some issues of late.

In July I got a beautiful early 2015 female matrix blood who I've named Mabel. After about a week of letting her settle in, she's turned out to be a winner. Though nervous at first, her temperament is very calm and she takes handling well. She is also a regular feeder on F/T weened rats which is a blessing. (My pride and joy BP will NOT take F/T).
    All in all she's been great.

Except for the two times she's shed for me. The first time, it was my fault. Her shed was awful and she was very dehydrated at the time. I had her in a glass tank and it was not cutting it for humidity.
    She was only in there for about 2 weeks. She is now in a sterilite plastic tub with two water bowls, two hides,on paper towels. Her temps are 85-90 on her hot spot with a humidity of 50-70%. I'm still fighting to keep my humidity up and misting every other day or so. I also soak her once a week or so just to make sure she's getting enough water and stays hydrated after that first terrible shed.

A week ago when I went to feed, I noticed she was in blue. So, I started misting daily and making sure he water bowls where full and clean twice a day. (Today I actually switched out her two bowls for one giant one. Like it's probably too big but I really want to bring up my humidity so I'm gonna see how it works out). And she was doing fabulously. I figured I'd solved my problems and we where gonna have a great shed.

Nope.

Tonight, when I came home from work, I checked on her and she looks like hell. Her skin is super wrinkled and crimped up. She looks like a freaking raisin. I soaked her in some luke warm water for about 30 mins and I misted the hell out of her tank. The humidity is sitting about 90% now. I'm hoping overnight she'll be able to get rid of her shed and if not I was going to help her out and gently try to get some of her shed off with a wet towel. I really don't want to do that though because I know it will be stressful as hell and it can damage her scales and skin. But I also don't want her to stay in this state.

I'm super worried.
    What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do better? I've always had problems with humidity in my snakes but I'm worried that this is going to cause some serious issues, especially since bloods have such serious humidity requirements to be healthy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Doop doop ballop

1.0 Mojave Ball Python - Bagheera
    0.1 Matrix Blood Python - Mabel
    1.1 Leopard Gecko - Bee and Honey
    1.0 Black Hooded Rat - Baloo
    1.0 Carolina Mantis - String Bean
    1.1 Cats - Popeye and Popeye
    2.2 Dogs - Boo, Pinto Bean, Bella, and Hungie

Thanks

Re: Shedding Problems :T

I know this thread is almost a month old and I hope all worked out well for you. I keep my Bloods at about 70% humidity. They really don't need any more than that. Your temps are way too high. Bloods don't need a hot spot that hot. VPI keeps their Bloods at 80 degrees with no hot spot year round and they are one of the top breeders of Bloods in the country (or world). I have a radiant heat panel that is around 82. The rest of the cage is room temp. More than not, they stay midway between the heat and the cool end, which would be around 80 or cooler. If you keep your humidity at 90%, you'll start having other issues.
    I keep mine on newspaper (as does VPI) and a great big water bowl. When they are in shed, I keep their cage pretty wet. I'll pour about a cup of water in their cage every day or two until they shed. They always shed in one piece. Hope this helps.. GET THOSE TEMPS DOWN!!

Thanks

Re: Shedding Problems :T

What I do if There's a shed Problem on top of humidity in his tank I soak them In My converted sterilize tub with the lid on he just lays in the warm water like a boss. I Have air holes for plenty of air.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Last edited by Lady mkrj58; 12-21-2015 at 01:48 AM.
    Lady Mkrj58