Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,328

0 members and 3,328 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Python curtus breitensteini

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    once upon a time they were all classified as subspecies of python curtus. they have since been reclassified as 3 distinct species. Sumatrans are frequently referred to as black bloods as a holdover from those days, but are more correctly referred to as sumatran short tails.
    Oh, now I'm more wiser. Thanks for the clarification!
    • 0.1 Python Regius (Purple Passion) 'Ahri'
    • 0.1 Lampropeltis Getula Nigrita 'Nocturnal'

~ Stalking prey is my confession.

χenomorphs | Đragons | ϛnakes |
    ϛcorpions | ϛpiders

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, as mentioned they are 3 species:

Python curtus (Sumatran Short Tail python, aka 'black blood python)
    Python breitensteini (Borneo python, Borneo Short Tail python)
    Python brongersmai (Blood python, aka red blood python, aka Sumatran blood python - though they are found on more locations than just Sumatra and this may not be accurate to the individual)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Aerithya (10-31-2015)

Thanks

My Borneo Matrix Shot tail has an attitude and I cant let him get that way I have to follow through or he has all the power. Out of his tank he's just fine

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady mkrj58 View Post
    My Borneo Matrix Shot tail has an attitude and I cant let him get that way I have to follow through or he has all the power. Out of his tank he's just fine

Sent from my SGH-T999
    well, I'll share my early experiences with my first borneo. I got her as a hatchling about 1 year after I started keeping snakes, turns out that may have not been the best choice for the inexperienced snake keeper. I didn't have enough experience with snakes to properly read their signals. The snake was a greedy feeder (borneos are like that) and grew quickly. she was an "aggressive" snake IMO at that time. sometimes in our hobby biters are referred to as "unpredictable". LOL, there was nothing unpredictable about her, you touch her, you get bit. My lack of experience led to the conclusion that since she was a biter I should grab her behind the head when handling to avoid this. This turned out to be a great idea, if I wanted to get bit some more! As my collection grew and I began to understand snakes better, I realized she wasn't aggressive, I was to blame for every bite. I finally understood her point of view after about 2-3 years. Rule #1 - "Don't touch me anywhere near my head, bottom 2/3 of me only please". Rule #2 - " I'll huff and puff and hiss at you every time you open my cage unless you're feeding me". But I realized this was mostly bluff. I realized as long as she wasn't wagging her tail along with all that noise, she was harmless. And if she was wagging her tail, leave her alone unless cage maintenance is required. Once she had properly trained me, I never got bit again. She lived 19 years and she was a pleasure to have, I'm glad I figured it out before I had to give up on her.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-29-2015),GoingPostal (12-29-2015)

Thanks

Yup, she was a big girl. Age 10 in these photos
    Last edited by DennisM; 12-22-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    well, I'll share my early experiences with my first borneo. I got her as a hatchling about 1 year after I started keeping snakes, turns out that may have not been the best choice for the inexperienced snake keeper. I didn't have enough experience with snakes to properly read their signals. The snake was a greedy feeder (borneos are like that) and grew quickly. she was an "aggressive" snake IMO at that time. sometimes in our hobby biters are referred to as "unpredictable". LOL, there was nothing unpredictable about her, you touch her, you get bit. My lack of experience led to the conclusion that since she was a biter I should grab her behind the head when handling to avoid this. This turned out to be a great idea, if I wanted to get bit some more! As my collection grew and I began to understand snakes better, I realized she wasn't aggressive, I was to blame for every bite. I finally understood her point of view after about 2-3 years. Rule #1 - "Don't touch me anywhere near my head, bottom 2/3 of me only please". Rule #2 - " I'll huff and puff and hiss at you every time you open my cage unless you're feeding me". But I realized this was mostly bluff. I realized as long as she wasn't wagging her tail along with all that noise, she was harmless. And if she was wagging her tail, leave her alone unless cage maintenance is required. Once she had properly trained me, I never got bit again. She lived 19 years and she was a pleasure to have, I'm glad I figured it out before I had to give up on her.
    Thank you I understand what your saying my only bite so far was my fault and I know that for sure. My Borneo short tail has been bullying me you open the tank and he's in an S and has that look Im goona bite you and he had some good vocals to. I'm going to stick to my guns and he and I are going to work this out. The other day I used a piece of cardboard while I was cleaning his tank its a 40 breeder tank so I have lots of room to work with. He has really grown in one year, he always eats 2 weaned F T rats each week. Now my Red Blood male is totally different he's a sweetheart and he does not attack the food I have to play with him the darn rat will be touching his nose and if I move it he wants it back on his nose it takes me at least ten minutes of play with the rat time before he gently take the Rat and I know all this can change lol He also skipped his meal last week I have no Idea why..... They certainly are different and much more powerful than my Ball Pythons

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Thank you I understand what your saying my only bite so far was my fault and I know that for sure. My Borneo short tail has been bullying me you open the tank and he's in an S and has that look Im goona bite you and he had some good vocals to. I'm going to stick to my guns and he and I are going to work this out. The other day I used a piece of cardboard while I was cleaning his tank its a 40 breeder tank so I have lots of room to work with. He has really grown in one year, he always eats 2 weaned F T rats each week. Now my Red Blood male is totally different he's a sweetheart and he does not attack the food I have to play with him the darn rat will be touching his nose and if I move it he wants it back on his nose it takes me at least ten minutes of play with the rat time before he gently take the Rat and I know all this can change lol He also skipped his meal last week I have no Idea why..... They certainly are different and much more powerful than my Ball Pythons

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Your Baby is very pretty mine are both 1 year old the Borneo Matrix is alot larger than my Red Blood.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Your Baby is very pretty mine are both 1 year old the Borneo Matrix is alot larger than my Red Blood.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Here are some shots of the Borneo Matrix Short tail.
    Here is my Red Blood

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Here are some shots of the Borneo Matrix Short tail.
    Here is my Red Blood

Sent from my SGH-T999
    He kept pushing his nose against my hand.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady mkrj58 For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-29-2015)

Thanks

Hope this info helps the OP

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast