Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

3 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered User Albinoballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

New owner with questions!

So I bought an albino ball only a few months old from what I assume, I've had him for a little over 3 weeks and he has not ate, I've kept contact to a minimum (meaning once since we got him) I've tried frozen and he was not interested at all, I tired a live this week and he was very interested but never struck, it was like he was following the feeder around as if he was hunting it but when they meet face to face he never stuck at it or seemed angered, I don't know if it's the time of year or if something husbandry wise, but his tank is perfect, 10 gal while he is young, repti bark bedding, appropriately sized hides on both sides of tank (one is a little to open for his liking so he don't use it much but it's on the cold side) 80° in the middle 75° cool side 85° hot side with 90° hot spot under his preferred hide. Large water bowl in the middle, dessert glass wrapped all around the tank except for the front (low traffic area, my bedroom) fake silk plant hanging front of the glass blocking his view of us from his hide hole which he climbs on. He is equally active and nonactive, comes out around 6 in the morning and hides from 9 to 3 or 4 p.m. for a few hours every other day. Hides until late at night then comes out for a little bit and goes back to his hide after we go to bed. I am wondering if it's bc he is in a preshed? His eyes aren't red they are a lavender at the moment and have been for 2 weeks, and it seems the scales around the side of his belly are lifting when he moves, (he did act like he couldn't see the live rat, when the rat would move to the other side of the tank cornflake, our snake, would keep looking where the rat had left) if anyone needs pictures of anything please let me know.

Thanks

Re: New owner with questions!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My first thought is that the ball python is probably stressed due to lack of good hides, the temperatures are a bit too low, and/or it might be in shed.

If you only hide is right over the heat, then you ball python has no cool retreat. The dinosaur skull is nice decoration, but I wouldn't consider it a hide. Maybe add another hide or two to see if it makes a difference.

I usually like my enclosures with an ambient closer to 78-80 degrees with a warm area around 92-94.

Albino ball pythons can be difficult to tell when they are in shed. The eyes and the 'faded' look the yellow/orange gets is a good indicator and you will be able to tell it more as time goes on. Make sure it has enough humidity. Maybe add a humid hide.

How are you feeding? Describe the process you have been using. That could be an issue too.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daniel1983 For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-25-2015),Megg (10-27-2015)

Thanks

I will Deffinally add another hide on the cool side a.s.a.p. I waiting until a week after I got him to try to feed. I thawed out a frozen fuzzy using hot tap water to thaw, and again to warm to 80° then threw it under the heat lamp until it was around 90° and picked it up using metal kitchen tongs, I tried holding it from the back as getting it close to his face and shaking it a little and he was curious of it flickering his tounge, and after a minute or two he striked at it but missed and I never got him to strike again he began to turn away from it every time I got it near him. I tried another frozen the next week (same thawing method) and tried holding it in the same position and he kept turning from it and I tried dangling it and he was not interested. Yesterday I placed a live inside the box in the cage and he instantly crawled all over the box but when I released the feeder he would follow it around but never strike at it, and if the rat was on top of the rock hide cornflake would go to that side and look around? While the rat ran to the other side as if cornflake did not know that rat had moved to the other side and continued to search there, they even came nose to nose and he did nothing the mouse just got scared and ran.

Thanks
    What size rat are you feeding?
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daniel1983 For This Useful Post:

Albinoballpython (10-25-2015)

Thanks
    Based off of the photo, I'd say your little guy needs more clutter and places to hide. The plant is nice but still leaves a LOT of open space. Some small, enclosed places would help him feel more secure. A cheap fix for hides would be some 1$ plastic bowls from the dollar store - cut a hole for an entrance and smooth the edge so they're not sharp. Until he feels secure, he probably wont' eat and the pictures from your other thread look a lot like a hatchling that needs to feed. Personally, I would have the warm side a bit warmer - where are you measuring the temps from? i.e. top of substrate, bottom of substrate, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothScales For This Useful Post:

Albinoballpython (10-25-2015)

Thanks

Size of rats are fuzzies frozen, and a small feeder for live that is the same size as his stomache. I've put alot more things inside his tank to cluster it up till I get some fancier stuff. Hopefully this helps I'll post a pic to make sure this is enough and it's ok. I'm using a heat gun to check Temps at the top of the substrate where he crawls.

Thanks

Thanks

I moved the dinosaur skull back, and placed a large jack Daniel's bottle next to the front of the tank but leaving room for him to crawl all around it and buried it incase he somehow could knock it over, it has no sharp edges I felt all over it. Took a light bulb cardboard box and cut the bottom out and placed it on the cool side for now is that ok? And placed a glass skull inside. I may move it over a bit though inside of right against the side

Thanks

I will also be ordering more greenery to hide even more, I'm sure all these new things will stress him out and I won't be able to feed till next week so if I need any more or something tall to thicken up all the extra air space please tell me and I will solve it a.t.m. any ideas to help for his feeding as well for next time I try

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast