Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

2 members and 3,332 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Long time breeder says humidity control isn't actually needed?

@ 7:47

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jank For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-21-2015),distaff (10-20-2015),Reinz (10-20-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I like Brian Gundy. (Was sorry to read of Big Momma's passing - she was a lovely boa.) I don't know what to make of that, however. Where does he live - maybe the South East?

Also, I still like a digital thermometer hung where I can read it instantly. I have to take off the top of the tank to use the temp gun. That is a pain.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    He lives here in the Bay Area, CA. Super nice guy. It is rather naturally humid around here, I don't do anything extra for humidity but when I lived in Las Vegas humidity was a constant struggle. (I didn't watch his vid yet)
    For the Horde!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Long time breeder says humidity control isn't actually needed?

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Also, I still like a digital thermometer hung where I can read it instantly. I have to take off the top of the tank to use the temp gun. That is a pain.
    ​I totally agree about the convenience quickness of the well placed digital. But the temp gun has it's uses. It works to do the occasional more accurate bottom or hide reading check and I use it to take the temp of F/T feeder. I get it to 90 or a bit hotter. I measured a live feeder once to see what temp they were.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    He lives here in the Bay Area, CA. Super nice guy. It is rather naturally humid around here, I don't do anything extra for humidity but when I lived in Las Vegas humidity was a constant struggle. (I didn't watch his vid yet)
    This is probably what he's talking about. Whether you have to keep a close humidity or not depends on your area. I lived in Sacramento, CA and had to keep an eye on humidity but not too much, as the ambient humidity there is around 50%. However I've lived in North Central Washington for the past seven years, and the ambient humidity here is 30%! I've only not had reptiles the past two years up here, and keeping humidity up has always been a constant struggle. I even had to worry about the beardy I looked after. He never fully shed, or shed very often, and he was drinking a lot. I had to soak him two to three times a week to keep him hydrated.
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks
    Absolutely location dependant! Here in Show Low AZ, I probably wouldn't need any, but once I'm back down in the valley where it's typically around 0%Rh, I absolutely am going to need it.
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Once you already have a good gist of your humidity range in your area over the seasons, assuming you live in a relatively humid area, and AFTER you've already had a digital humidity monitor, then I don't think it's always needed.

For newbies in the hobby though, it's definitely necessary to even find out what your humidity is, and whether it's too high or too low.

I'm in Los Angeles, and the humidity in my apartment is always 55%~70%.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-20-2015 at 11:52 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I respect Mr. Grundy's views, though this is the first I have heard or seen of him. I like what he said. I was using back heat. But I just went to belly heat. Liked what he said there about that. And about heat guns. I have had problem sheds where the skin was too wet and broke apart. I think the skin being a little dry will come off better. IMO. I don't think he wants his humidity high no matter where he would live. And where his snakes are located in (his house or wherever they are) might have no bearing on the outside humidity. He said the only two time he tries to make it a little more humid is during shed and incubation. He say's, and I agree, that heat and high humidity can be a petri dish to bacteria and problems. I wonder if snake spray misting(ex. zilla tropical mist) while in blue eyed stage of shedding( not after that) is better.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have not check humidity in individual enclosure in.............well actually I never have

I measure the room humidity, I pay attention to the look of my enclosures and my snake sheds

Temperature is the only thing I check everyday with a temp gun getting random reading in different cages and that's when I use a hot spot which I do not most of the year.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-21-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Freakie_frog (10-21-2015),GoingPostal (10-21-2015)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm like Deb, I pay more attention to the snakes and how they are shedding and looking more than what the numbers say. Cause if my snake is looking dry buy they are a 50% Rh I know I need to bump up the humidity. So what does it matter what the number is if my snake looks dry or is shedding bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast