Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

1 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My last message came across as a deterrent, and I by no means meant it that way, as I fully support the rescue I work at, and wouldn't have it any other way, but I have seen a lot of rescues fail because they didn't anticipate the revolving cost. We very rarely get in dogs that are perfectly healthy, we get dogs that have been shot, broken bones, sick, on deaths door, it is not uncommon for a single vet bill to hit $5000. Now if you add reptiles into the mix, a lot of the reptiles you will see will be sick as well, you have to worry about transmission with all animals, generally the "unwanted" reptiles will be large snakes, monitors, tegus, are you going to be willing to build proper enclosures for these animals, you can't rehab them if their husbandry isn't being met. You also have to realize that volunteers will come and go, they get burnt out, you have disagreements, so as they leave you take on more responsibility. When I started out I was dedicating about 5 hours a month to the rescue, as I progressed with them it is essentially now a second job for me, I probably dedicate close to 20-30 hours per week on top of my normal working schedule.

Again good on you for wanting to do this, I just want you to be very aware of what is ahead of you....good luck.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-20-2015),distaff (10-20-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One thing I have noticed is that rescues tend to specialize - even down to the breeds. There are rescues for Huskies, and other rescues for Malamutes. One woman I am familiar with is involved in British Shortair cat rescue. Focused missions just seem to last longer. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with someone's starved pregnant pit bull one day, and a burned boa the next. Kittens show up by the dozen at our local shelter every spring. The kindest thing can be to euthanize the all - they tend to end up diseased.

We live in a very small town, and on average, I'd day the shelter takes in one animal a day. We have one animal control officer (with other duties) and one tough as nails lady in her late seventies who does all the basic care, cleaning, and feeding. It is more than a full time job for her. She spends her own money if an animal needs surgery. Our corrupt town officials spend money like water, but she has never been recognised nor in any way compensated for any of her efforts.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-20-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    A name is not the only point of concern or focus right now...just one of the items on the list of things that needs done. From my understanding, you have to have a name to incorporate and register as a non-profit...I'm not ungrateful for the unsolicited advice given above, but certainly a little bummed that people are doubtful... No offense to any of you, just wish people in general weren't so quick suggest someone will fail at something - especially without knowing the person, what they've done, or their game-plan/strategy to be successful in what they want to do.

I'll figure out a name. Thanks to those who were helpful with that..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Non-Profit Animal Rescue - advice

Quote Originally Posted by SteveySingle View Post
    A name is not the only point of concern or focus right now...just one of the items on the list of things that needs done. From my understanding, you have to have a name to incorporate and register as a non-profit...I'm not ungrateful for the unsolicited advice given above, but certainly a little bummed that people are doubtful... No offense to any of you, just wish people in general weren't so quick suggest someone will fail at something - especially without knowing the person, what they've done, or their game-plan/strategy to be successful in what they want to do.

I'll figure out a name. Thanks to those who were helpful with that..
    There is actually nothing doubtful about it at all. People rescue animals every day. They also tend to organize when the efforts get expensive, time consuming, and the work becomes more than one person can handle. At that point, they start making things "official." Legal documents can have a temporary working name until a permanent name is chosen. I can't remember the legal term for this, but there is one, and the practice is accepted.

I would not get hung up on the name. You will come up with a good one eventually. Until then, just go ahead with rescue work, and don't get caught up putting the cart before the horse. If you aren't already, you will learn an immense amount by volunteering with local organizations that are already established.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-20-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12