Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

0 members and 3,270 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Business Names

Thanks

Business Names

I've been going by Clarke Reptiles for several years though I never really got into much breeding and selling. I never made a business out of it, but I really want to get into breeding snakes again and expand a tad. I also want to start a feeder business if I can get it together. Now, the issue is that Clarke is my last name from a marriage that has ended (on good terms). While I'm not changing back to my maiden name, there is always the possibility of getting married in the future and my last name will change. With this in mind, I don't want to keep my hobby/business name as Clarke Reptiles. I need something that doesn't pertain to a last name.

I could use something to do with my location (Richmond, VA) but I don't want to step on anyone's toes by picking a name that may already be taken by someone local.

How do you go about finding a name that works and tells your customers a bit about what and who you are, but would still be a good name if you happen to move or change your name?
    Under Construction.....

Registered User skatefastdieyoung's Avatar
    Thanks
    As a graphic designer the one thing i work with most is business names, as people see my facebook page they contact me knowing that i own reptiles. Often i make them for businesses like yours and can tell you this... almost all of them end in reptiles, so my suggestion to you would be to not do what everybody else does and try not to put reptiles at the end of your business name. Its far overused but is a good strategy in describing what product you have to offer, there's two sides i was just giving you my experienced opinion.
    Last edited by skatefastdieyoung; 10-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    0.1 Hypo Het albino and Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python

1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly Ball Python

Thanks
    WOW....talk about perfect timing. I just wrote up a blog post last night for tips about naming a reptile business....ha ha.

http://reptilestartup.com/selecting-...business-name/

Check it out and let me know if it is helpful.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    I ran into a few problems when choosing my name as well. Initially, I wanted to go with Davinci's Apprentice Morphs, however with a few hours of googling and emailing, I found 3 other reptile businesses, including one ball python business that had Davinci quite prominently in the name. I had wanted to use this as I hold an AZ LLC for DaVinci's Apprentice Customs LLC, from a previous business venture, and I plan on using it, and like everything to mesh nicely.

So I settled on using my name. However Robert, being my first name is just too common, I didn't want to run into problems later. My last name is fairly unique, Raschke, however no one has ever, in my entire life said it properly the first time, and you don't really want people to struggle with pronouncing your business name. My middle name isn't the most unique ever, but it's common enough everyone can pronounce it, and it's 1/3rd originating from one of my favorite historical figures, so I ended up on Franklin Morphs. I'm quite happy with it actually, has just a bit of a ring to it IMHO.

Don't forget to check your local LLC listing, most likely to be held with your local Corporation Commission, or some other similar entity. Also check trade names. Here in AZ, they are listed in the Corporation database as well, so it's all done with one search, but make sure you do it.

Finally, after you've decided if you're going to incorporate or not(way too much, and very different info than this thread is after in and of itself) you can either file for the LLC, or establish your TradeName. I would ABSOLUTELY suggest applying for a tradename even if you're not going to incorporate as it locks that name in for you, and gives you a public record of your establishment, which will help tremendously if you do run into troubles down the road.
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Thanks

Re: Business Names

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    WOW....talk about perfect timing. I just wrote up a blog post last night for tips about naming a reptile business....ha ha.

http://reptilestartup.com/selecting-...business-name/

Check it out and let me know if it is helpful.
    GREAT article Daniel!
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! And that was a great write up. I have some thinking to do. I was thinking of using Herps for the reptile side but I don't know about the feeder business.
    Under Construction.....