Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

0 members and 3,365 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: My Baby

Thanks

My Baby

Well after the wierdies n frogs, heres my baby and his(i think) home. Its planted. I have another 40 g. When we get bored with it we swap them. Usually change the plants around and whatnot. Wait a few months for the roots to really take, then swap again. Had the snake 4 years now.

There ya have it!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-21-2015),Blueraven99 (10-24-2015),nightwolfsnow (10-20-2015),Reinz (10-20-2015)

Thanks
    How do you keep him from uprooting or smashing the plants? That's dieffenbachia in there right?
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Nice setup for a good looking snake!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    that's an awesome bioactive viv. i hope to get at least one display set-up like that someday. your pretty baby BP is lucky to have a nice home like that.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Blueraven99 (10-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thank ya!

Yes for the plant. We pre-grow all plants that go into the tank. Helps with the roots. A good packing of moss. Driftwood plays a good part as well. We use the driftwood to kind of barricade the roots. Especially for the main cluster of the pothos. Hes tunneled in there more than once lol. Destroyed a few broms, smooshed a few palm grasses(though they hold up well), alot of trial and error. Theres a large fake aquarium stump hiding behind the plant for a cool hide. A large corner rock under the driftwood.

2nd tank also helps. Got a 2nd 40breeder cheap on craigslist. So one grows while one shows. We change out maybe 2x a year. Trying to find those perfect plants that will last the long haul. His current plant has been the longest lasting one. I need to build a slip over extension to make the tank taller though. Maybe 6inch riser. Already made the lid that way. I need the rise for plant growth. That and shiva(first thought to be a girl) loves to climb and is quite the curious roamer. That and the soil is about 4thick hot side 6on the cool. So i lost alot of space. Regular soil ph and moisture tests on weekly feeding day. Every other day plant grooming. I call his tank my zen garden because it takes the most maintenance.

Me the glass king, has been looking into the plastic type display enclosures i see popping up more and more. Alot of them seem flimsy from what ive seen at expos though. Like a good push on a corner and hell blow the tank apart...

Was going to make a wood job and fibreglass the inside(picked up from builds on monsterfishkeeper.com) to seal it. Probably my cheapest and best bet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

nightwolfsnow (10-22-2015)

Thanks

Re: My Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Mclaughlin View Post
    Thank ya!

Yes for the plant. We pre-grow all plants that go into the tank. Helps with the roots. A good packing of moss. Driftwood plays a good part as well. We use the driftwood to kind of barricade the roots. Especially for the main cluster of the pothos. Hes tunneled in there more than once lol. Destroyed a few broms, smooshed a few palm grasses(though they hold up well), alot of trial and error. Theres a large fake aquarium stump hiding behind the plant for a cool hide. A large corner rock under the driftwood.

2nd tank also helps. Got a 2nd 40breeder cheap on craigslist. So one grows while one shows. We change out maybe 2x a year. Trying to find those perfect plants that will last the long haul. His current plant has been the longest lasting one. I need to build a slip over extension to make the tank taller though. Maybe 6inch riser. Already made the lid that way. I need the rise for plant growth. That and shiva(first thought to be a girl) loves to climb and is quite the curious roamer. That and the soil is about 4thick hot side 6on the cool. So i lost alot of space. Regular soil ph and moisture tests on weekly feeding day. Every other day plant grooming. I call his tank my zen garden because it takes the most maintenance.

Me the glass king, has been looking into the plastic type display enclosures i see popping up more and more. Alot of them seem flimsy from what ive seen at expos though. Like a good push on a corner and hell blow the tank apart...

Was going to make a wood job and fibreglass the inside(picked up from builds on monsterfishkeeper.com) to seal it. Probably my cheapest and best bet.

Neat. I work with plants so I kinda want to incorporate that in my tanks, but feel like it would take a lot of work.
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That is beautiful! IMHO, if they are not in a rack, I think an attractive tank is important.

Spend a lot of time recently on Josh's Frogs, and also New England Herpetoculture. Both seem to focus mostly on frogs and geckos, but both sites still contain a LOT of helpful information. Placed an order last night with New England Herpetoculture - Korean rock fern, Pilea depressa, Peperomia caperata, some other root cuttings, and some mosses. I did not get the vivarium substrate, because for now, I'm just going to go with some pots.

My idea of the ultimate viv starts with the Exo-terra 36X18X18. I was clicking around them on Amazon...now Amazon is informing me that I can buy one on credit with no interest for six months...
    I'm gonna have to decline that kind offer. This is not the economic climate to be taking on consumer credit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Kris Mclaughlin (10-22-2015)

Thanks
    Amen to that. We tried a few ivys. But put them in as tiny plants. Trampled in no time. Were trying for heartier ones this time with better establishment time. Love joshsfrogs. Also a frequent member of frogforum.net alot of good viv info there. Our frogs is what made me make a live snake tank.