Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

1 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: The Wierdies

Thanks

The Wierdies

Lol our beardies. These guys and gal are special cases and really demand alot of attention. All were free adoptions from petsmart. At the same time. Their tankmate(whom i met) was a super errr cranky beardie much larger than them. Liked to eat toes... sigh... after some healing they are characters man! I mean the damaged areas have shed issues to this day and its a regular thing to q-tip some vasoline on a foot or tail tip. Theres my citrus tiger Monster Man, and the wife and kid both claimed one of each regular, Little Lady, and Baby Bruddah. They named them too.... Ugh...

Here we are:

Little characters!
    Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 10-16-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Much like BPs, it is ill advised to house multiple bearded dragons in the same enclosure. If they are all female, and grow up together, perhaps you can get away with it... but if there are any males in the group, I'd separate them.

Thanks
    Sorry i wasnt paying attention.

They have always been together. Even shipped to the store together. We tried to split them, they freak out, then mope. Its kinda cute.

Not sure who makes a bigger mess, the wierdies, or the red ear sliders that someone dumped on my door...

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Wierdies

Keeping multiple bearded dragons together is not like keeping ball pythons together but you do have to be careful. Multiple females or a male and a couple females can be kept together in an adequately sized enclosure... which will usually need to be a custom made enclosure as most tanks are way too small. This is not beginner level husbandry but is perfectly fine for experienced keepers. Groups with two males can be kept in very large outdoor pens.

Bearded dragons don't seem to crave fellow beardie companionship but neither are they adverse to it. They are found in groups sometimes in the wild and demonstrate a range of behaviors that were clearly developed for interaction with a hierarchical group and not 100% solitary lifestyle. Let me be clear: I am NOT advocating for keeping them in groups but rather quelling the group taboo fire that springs up through internet rumors. There will be a dominant dragon but this hierarchical relationship is not necessarily a negative. Making sure all dragons get as much food as they want and adding additional basking spots can eliminate most problems.

Two caveats here. You do need to watch for aggression and be prepared to split up the group if a fight breaks out. Sometimes you'll never have a problem and they'll live together without an issue their entire lives. Other times, you'll have two dragons that both want dominance and they can't live together. Just separate them, very easy.

If keeping a male with a female, make sure that she has time alone to recuperate if she's breeding.

Finally, there is a very real danger in keeping dragons together of unequal size. This danger lessens as they get bigger but I need to warn you that your dragons are right on the borderline. You may walk into the room one day to find the tail and lower body of one of the dragons on the end sticking out of the one in the middle's mouth. If i were you, I would separate them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Kris Mclaughlin (10-23-2015),Megg (10-22-2015)

Thanks
    Wow. Thank you. The citrus tiger is king of the tank and much larger at this point. We feed kale in tank, and crickets out of tank. My sister in law warned me of the same issue. Citrus and a brown are boy one normal is girl. We will give monster(citrus) his own diggs.

Weve hit a wall with the tiny one. Shedding issues and hes the only one. Around his tail/legs, and his arm that was damaged when they asked us to bring them home. We use vasoline and plain jane neosporin to soften the skin and help heal. But i do worry.

I think i have your jabberwocky card here somewhere is i dig funny enough. From new stanton, cheswick, or the steele city expos. Tho we havent made it out in a while.

These were our first dry/hot animals. So i will gladly take any information with a grain and modify our methods. These little guys are too cool.