Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

0 members and 3,091 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What do you think is the best way to advertise snakes?

Kind of a strange question, and you may have never really thought about it, but I'd really like to know what you think.

How do you like to see snakes advertised? What, besides the snake in question, attracts your eye to a photo? Do you like seeing detail shots as well, or just single shots of the entire snake?

Do you prefer when the snakes are against plain backgrounds, and if so - what color? Does black make it easier to see patterns? What about a snake placed on say, a mirror?

Do you prefer to see ads of snakes on substrate, or on a branch or other "prop"?

Do ads that show the snake from above look better to you, or do you prefer seeing it from an angle that gives a good view of the snake's face?

Do you like seeing the company selling the snake's name on the picture? If so, does a watermark look better, or would you prefer seeing like the company's name on a card placed next to the snake?

Do you prefer when people put the morph/sex/size/other info on the picture, or do you prefer to just see the snake and read its description for that info?

What makes an ad POP to you, again of course other than the snake?

Thank you for reading, and replying if you do!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I like to see a clear picture with something to relate to size(a quarter is my go-to item for pictures, in fact I had the same quarter for almost 3 years running, lol). I also want to know the snake's age and weight and price.

Otherwise, I don't care about the artistic qualities. If it's an ad, I don't care if it has pretty flowers or a checkered tablecloth in the shot. I do like the angled slightly from above shots, to show the sides and top. The front shots are not generally as useful to me. A bellyshot is good IF it's relevant to the morph.

The worst shots for me are out of focus, and the classic "dangling from a hand" shots because they often distort what the snake looks like. A snake that is hidden even partly because of foliage, rocks, hides, etc is equally frustrating. A shot of the head with the body stretched out behind it getting more blurry the further along the body you look is also useless(unless it's just to show the head with the body shots in another picture, but I'd prefer to see just the head without all the rest in that case).

When I am looking at PICTURES, like on the forum, I do love staged shots and neat angles. But for a sales ad, no. I prefer simple and clear with the information readily to hand, either on the photo or in the ad.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-13-2015),Megg (10-13-2015)

Thanks

Re: What do you think is the best way to advertise snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I also want to know the snake's age and weight and price. [...] I prefer simple and clear with the information readily to hand, either on the photo or in the ad.
    So do you like to see this on the picture itself, or do you prefer reading it in the ad description? Or do you not have any preference?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Otherwise, I don't care about the artistic qualities. [...] A snake that is hidden even partly because of foliage, rocks, hides, etc is equally frustrating.
    Ok, so no props. Do you believe the color of the backdrop makes it any easier to view it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Several clear pictures, neutral background, natural light if possible, no color enhancement (some cameras can do this automagically). Light box / mirror / effects are nice but not needed, unless it's to set up something like a belly shot.

Turn-offs are dirty enclosures (yes I've seen urates in sales pics) unless it was something like a lock to show a proven breeder, pics out of focus, pics too dark, etc.

I don't mind props unless they cover up a lot of the snake. Often they are useful as the snake may grab onto a branch or rock and not move, so you can get a better image.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-13-2015 at 05:42 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-13-2015)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have changed all mine to an outdoor photo.
    Lighting can really change the look of a snake but it will always look the same in the sun.
    I honestly hate water marks BUT sadly we all know they are needed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-14-2015),kriwu (10-13-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Clear picture on black or white background is what I like to see, the color of the background does not matter to me however a smart choice will be to know what background will make your snake stand out the most.

For example bright morphs on dark background and dark morphs on light background.

As for info they should in my opinion be in the listing itself.

Keep it simple especially if you have many animals and advertise on many venues.

Year - Mutation - Sex

Weight changes so quickly with young animals I just provide it if the buyer enquires.

Now if it is an adult animal posting the weight will help.

Post info that are relevant such as proven breeder if it is the case, animal eating F/T etc
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ajmreptiles (10-13-2015),kriwu (10-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kriwu View Post
    So do you like to see this on the picture itself, or do you prefer reading it in the ad description? Or do you not have any preference?

Ok, so no props. Do you believe the color of the backdrop makes it any easier to view it?

No preference. As long as the information is available. If you have an ad with several snakes for sale and several pictures, it's better to me if you have some way to indicate exactly which snake is in which picture too.

Colors can easily make a snake look better or worse. Neutral colors seem better and I will second the post above mentioning pure sunlight being best as a light source(when available).

I've actually been accused once of "oiling" my snakes because they looked so shiny in a photo. It was because they were healthy clean snakes and the accuser always had animals that looked dull and somewhat dirty I guess. I would NEVER oil a snake, especially one I was going to sell. A clean healthy snake in good lighting will make for a great photo.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-13-2015)

Thanks

Real talk. If I'm not outside of my house, walking around a store, using my eyeballs on the actual 3-dimensional objects of my interest in the real world, then I'm window shopping. I WANT TO SEE STUFF. I hate when I pull up a page and I get the "no image availible" - HOW am I supposed to know if I WANT THING if I can't SEE THING. Lit-er-al-ly eve-ry-thing we purchase has a component of visual interest. I don't buy eggs at the grocery store without opening the thing up and checking to make sure they're not cracked. I'll pass over a carton of milk if there's one in another slot that looks like it's had less stuff leaked all over it. We want to SEE OUR STUFF. We trust our eyes to help us make our own judgements, instead of relying entirely on another entity to provide all data secondhand. Lemme make my own judgements. Enable me to do that. Show me that you are confident enough in your product to allow me to inspect it and appreciate its aesthetics.

How do you like to see snakes advertised?
    GIVE ME PICTURES. Give me all the pertinant information too, but give me pictures. I can't speak for everyone, but personally - if you want to sell me thing, but you don't show me pictures of thing, there is 0% chance I am going to buy thing from you.

What, besides the snake in question, attracts your eye to a photo?
    Clean photos. Clear photos. Quality photos. If you've only got one picture of your snake, I want to be able to look at that photo and say, "that's a snake, these are its defining features, and it is clearly the object of interest in this picture."

I don't want to see your kids or your dog in the background. I don't want to know you drink coffee because you took the picture on your stained countertop. I don't want to have to guess whether the picture is true-to-life color, or try and figure it out because you put some kind of instagram filter on that thing. I want to see the snake. Just the snake. Just the thing you want to sell me. If you're trying to sell your snake and your dog as a package deal, then maybe put the dog in the background. Otherwise, just show me the snake.

Do you like seeing detail shots as well, or just single shots of the entire snake?
    Mostly, I just want to see the snake. I've seen lots of snakes. I can't count the hours I've spent looking at pictures of snakes. If I'm looking at your advert, then something has already drawn me in - now sell me. Your snake has XYZ gene I'm interested in - maybe there are lots of those, so how do you set yourself apart? Start with one good picture of the entire snake. Then, if there's something awesome and notable about your snake, highlight it! Ringer? Mustache? Headstamp? Eyes? Give me another picture of this distignuishing feature. That's all I need.

I love to take pictures of my snakes in all their squirmy glory, but an advert isn't Facebook - don't include a bunch of pictures from different angles just because they are good shots or look cool... I've seen snakes, I know what they do. Put quality on display, and it will rep for itself. No gimmicks required.

Do you prefer when the snakes are against plain backgrounds, and if so - what color? Does black make it easier to see patterns? What about a snake placed on say, a mirror?
    KISS - keep it simple, *silly*. Again, what I'm here for is the snake - anything else in the photo detracts from the primary object of interest. Plain backgrounds are the way to go. If you've got a whole bunch of garbage in the background, I'm actually going to start looking at it and trying to spot a dirty secret, or wonder what you're trying to distract me from that might be wrong with the snake.

Use common sense. Don't take a picture of a BEL on a white background with harsh lighting. Don't take a picture of an 8-ball on a black background with low lighting. You're straining my eyes and forcing my imagination to fill in the parts I can't see well. I can imagine snakes all day, but I'm not buying them. Put your animal on a background that shows off it's colors well, with lighting that compliments and gives as close to true-to-life color as possible.

Mirrors are a little gimicky, in my opinion, but some people like them. Personally, if there's a feature on the snake that requires a second angle to highlight, I just want another picture of the feature. Leave the mirrors for art projects.

Do you prefer to see ads of snakes on substrate, or on a branch or other "prop"?
    Am I buying a Ball Python or a Green Tree Python? Show me what I can expect when I bring this thing home. Don't get fancy, just give me a clear picture of what I'm buying. "Cutesy", "artsy", and other gimmicky shots can be saved for the forum. Once I own the snake, I'm going to be taking those shots. I'm not buying a picture of a snake from you, I'm buying the snake. Show me the snake.

Do ads that show the snake from above look better to you, or do you prefer seeing it from an angle that gives a good view of the snake's face?
    Start with a shot from above. Add other pictures as necessary, to show off the animal in question. Color me herpist, but once you've looked one BP in the eye, you've seen most of them. Unless your animal is a model (and be reasonable - we all think our children are models), I don't need a close-up of its heat vents.

Do you like seeing the company selling the snake's name on the picture? If so, does a watermark look better, or would you prefer seeing like the company's name on a card placed next to the snake?
    I don't MIND if the company's name is on the picture, as long as it's not getting in the way of my inspection of the animal from a flat secondhand visual. Add your logo to the shot in editing. Take a picture with your card. Add a tasteful watermark. But for GOD SAKE, don't plaster an enormous watermark OVER the animal, obscuring what I'm supposed to be looking at! Are you trying to sell me this thing, or prevent me from getting a good look at it so I'll move on to the next posting?

Do you prefer when people put the morph/sex/size/other info on the picture, or do you prefer to just see the snake and read its description for that info?
    If you're posting one or two animals, I can probably figure out which is which by your description - you don't need to add anything to the photo. If you've just laid out a laundry list of animals, I would appreciate if you would at least provide a number reference, otherwise the morph and gender. Any additional information is going to start cluttering it up, and can go out of date (age, size, food, etc).

What makes an ad POP to you, again of course other than the snake?
    Title your advert to draw in the buyers who are interested in your animal. Be clear. Vague descriptions (ex: FOR SALE-pied/cinnamon stuff, instead of FOR SALE-3.1 Pieds, 1.1 Het-Pieds, 1.0 Super Cinnamon, Cinnamons+) might draw in more lazily curious lookers, but if someone is looking for a specific set of genes that you don't put out front in bold, they might miss your ad.

Tell me everything I need to know about the animal. Even if you assume your primary buyer base is knowledgeable, break it down. You can tell me you have 1.0 Killer Widow Pin, but in case I don't remember off the top of my head what that IS, tell me it's a Super Pastel, Black Pastel, Pinstripe, Spider. If you post the animal as a 2014, that doesn't tell me if it was born in Jan 2014 or Dec 2014. Include the size, at the time you posted the animal. Tell me if your snakes are eating live/fresh-kill/frozen-thawed, and rats or mice. As much as I'm buying the snake, I'm buying the animal's situation - I want to know what I'm going to be dealing with when it arrives.

Finally, the most important piece of the entire equation (in my opinion, your milage may vary) is whether or not the seller is ACCESSABLE for questions!! If the only way to get a hold of you is through the auto-email-reply-generator, I'm going to be a little sketched out. Who's trying to sell snakes but doesn't want to be gotten a hold of to answer questions about them? Shady people, that's who. Post your number. Don't want to post YOUR number? Get a Google number. Provide your email address. Have a website? Put it up there! Facebook (for your snake-related stuff)? Add it! When I'm looking to buy, I want to be able to reach out and communicate with another human being about the particulars of this animal - don't make yourself difficult to reach out to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aercadia For This Useful Post:

Megg (10-13-2015)

Thanks
    I think I may have not worded my original post correctly, based on the responses I'm getting.

I'm not asking about how to actually sell a snake, the descriptions or what I need to include in them. I'm not asking how to label an ad or how to let people get in contact with me.

I'm specifically asking about the visual part of it, the FIRST picture you see when browsing snakes, and what draws you to one ad vs another for the same morph. I know the pictures need to be clear and easy to see, I'm wanting to know what specific things draw your eyes and if you prefer to see information on the picture instead of the description.

It's very easy to understand that dark snakes should be on a lighter backdrop and lighter ones on a darker one, but I'm looking for preferences on color, texture, lighting etc etc. It's easy to say "it doesn't matter/I'm looking at the snake" but there are absolutely differences between visual ads, no matter how slight.

I was just wondering if people had preferences on the way snakes were displayed, besides the obvious "clear photos."

Thank you for the responses.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It should be obvious, but I'm going to say it anyway: A clean surface. I don't care if the snake is in its tub - I DO care if I see urates and poop and an old shed skin with it.

Yes, that is an actual case. There is a rather pretty Corn on Kingsnake.com photographed for sale in just this condition! The ad has been up for a while...gee, wonder why she hasn't sold! There is another gorgeous Corn there, reasonably well photographed, and with such intensity of colour, I replied to the ad with a few quick questions. The only response I got back was the price and the PayPal account info. A response that was a little more forthcoming might have sold that snake. I really liked the photo - but I wanted some confirmation on those brilliant colours. As of yesterday evening, that snake too was apparently still up for sale.

In contrast, the three times I've tried to buy a Corn from Sunshine Serpents, the owner sells out before I get the funds together. He had an entire clutch of Okeetees (spell?), and that ad was down about three days later. Daniel has clear sales photos (hatchlings and parents), a fantastic informative website, and he gets back to me quickly when I have a question. He clearly doesn't need the business, but I'd still prefer to buy my Corn from him.

So there you go: two bad examples, and a good example.
    Last edited by distaff; 10-13-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast