Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,472

2 members and 3,470 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Do you ever pre-sell snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeManRob View Post
    Absolutely appreciated. I'm building the rack now, and since I'm sticking to one female, I'm making room for at least 8 hatchling tubs, but could pull out one of the adult male tubs that will be empty and make it 10 hatchling tubs. Incubator is pulled together but not built yet, as I have some time there. It's a mini-fridge that should hold 5 shoebox size tubs with eggcrate in them, so more than enough room there. For now, I think I'll actually use up the bottom space, just have room for 4 clutches, and do a submersed heating element, fresh air bubbler and mist generator in a dedicated tub in the bottom to control heat, humidity and air circulation. I actually have some experience making small scale commercial grade chiller units and with that experience, have done some thermal control units for homebrewing and two meat curing systems, which actually require extremely similar control to an incubator, but have to be even more tightly controlled, so they have heat, cooling, humidity and smoke controls all in on system, built into a full sized fridge or freezer.

I have found local reptile specific vets both up here on the mountain and down in the valley where I'm moving in a few months(hey a hurdle that hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm moving literally right before breeding season, going to cool them off just after moving, hopefully that can re-normalize them as quickly as possible just before getting them breeding). Vet bills will obviously suck, but can do it, and I have personal experience in both hunting and having to put down one of my own pets in the past as well, so as much as it's horrific, I can do that too.

Marketing and distribution are in the works, but are coming along nicely IMHO. I'm set of with my site(see sig) and a facebook page and I'm getting as active as I can here, BLBC, facebook etc. to get my name out even before I have hatchlings to sell, and have a couple local friends that ALWAYS have tables at the local shows, and they'll consign in shop, or sell me a couple feed of their table to sell anything not worth shipping.

I have a set of 6, 5 year plans, each one with automatic calculating rodent volumes and projected costs per quarter, quarterly misc expenses like damaged hides, paper towels, broken water bowls, replacement tubs, etc. Annual costs, like one complete temperature/humidity control unit going bad per year. They also include clutch projections year over year with manually entered holdbacks per year, with year over year variations based on genetics odds, and include minimum sales price of the clutch(based on ~3/4 survival, minimum expected egg count(4 first year, increasing by one egg per year to a max of 8, and the minimum genetic possibility, which is typically a normal, priced at $20) a median, which uses an algorithm I put together based on genetic possibilities, getting a full clutch and what would statistically be a resonable, but middling clutch, and what I call the hand of god, still using an algorithm based on genetics, if I were to a FANTASTIC, but still genetically reasonable clutch. Then extrapolating out year over year with those three variances and what information I tell it for what, if any snakes I were to keep. It's obscenely complicated, but gives me three scenarios based on varying luck for costs, income and potential growth.

I'm sure I haven't covered every eventuality, but I've been planning for this day to come for almost 5 years now, spending all that time learning, planning, designing, learning, re-planning, learning, re-designing etc.
    If your various automatic calculations and algorithms could be set up in a user friendly system, I could see that easily being a sought after tool by new keepers/breeders. Or even converted into a reptile breeder simulator game. Something to think about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    If your various automatic calculations and algorithms could be set up in a user friendly system, I could see that easily being a sought after tool by new keepers/breeders. Or even converted into a reptile breeder simulator game. Something to think about.
    I did consider publishing it here, however I'd really like some(a lot) more time testing it, and it currently only can calculate based on manually input variables. For example, when I put a clutch into the database, I have to manually list the possible morphs that can come from it, and in the next column, list the percentage chance of getting that particular morph, then one algorithm spits out a randomly generated clutch based one the number of eggs I anticipate, and the odds at getting each level of morph, then the odds of each morph within that level, and an off the shelf randomizer. For the clutch values, I have to go one further, and input whether or not each morph would be held back, or sold, and based off of that, I have three calculations set up. One is the bare minimum, taking the lowest number value in the price category and multiplying it by the lowest number of eggs I could/should expect and spitting out that number for me, one that takes the randomly generated list and prices it out and spits out that number, and one that takes the highest dollar amount listed, multiplies that by the highest number of eggs I could/should hatch and spits that number out, that's the one called hand of god, basically impossible, but a fun number to see, and a fair comparison to the bare minimum and the "Median" which includes randomized offspring. Adding sex in will make it substantially more complicated, but entirely do-able as part of the randomizer.

The system should work great as is for up to 3 gene snakes. However I have a feeling it needs tweaking for any clutches with more than 4 genes involved. Also, if I could integrate an existing database, especailly one with name recognition like the new one on Morphs Market, I could have it generate clutches without all the manual work, however that is frankly beyond me currently, mostly because I haven't even begun to look into doing it due to a lack of time and number of things on my plate. I do have a friend who is loosely involved in android game programming who has said he could probably make it into an app, but he's busier than I am.
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Thanks

I totally understand the lack of time thing. Just thought I'd suggest it as I could defiantly see that being a useful program from a planning/projecting stand point. Would it be possible to plug into WoBP for the clutch outcomes? If you ever decide to further develop this I would love to be a beta tester.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've looked at the coding used on most of the calculators out there and it's really amazing the amount of work that has to have gone into them, especially recognizing specific combinations that make up "designer" morphs and spit out just the designer name, not the gene combination. Plugging into it is not really a possibility. Just in the realm of software I know, setting up a MS Access or similar database with really pretty front end would be the most efficient way to do it, and it would be relatively easy to set up a front end where you can plug in what you have, move to another screen to set pairs for breeding, it could spit out the possible incomes, and include a check box for holdbacks, but it's an incredibly large number of permutations to force it to go through, I can't imagine it being something that could be done real time, online without serious issues.
    1.0 Josiah - Super Pastel het SK Axanthic
    0.1 Abigail - Spider het SK Axanthic
    1.0 Moqui - Pug - Rescued from a Meth lab
    1.0 Winston - Min-Pin, Chihuahua, Dachshund mix, rescue
    1.0 Buddha - Gray Tabby - baby of a neighborhood stray we took in
    1.0 Precious(like the ring) - Siamese - Sister to above

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123