Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

0 members and 3,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What makes what: a noob question.

Probably a noob question.
    After conducting a LOT of research and saving money, finding a bigger place to live, etc., I think I am going to be a BP breeder and collect a few morphs here and there, just like many of you. I'm on World of Ball Pythons.net looking at the morphs and deciding which male and female I may be saving up for in the future. I'm just wondering how you can tell what makes what - sometimes you get to a page, like the Blonde Pastel, and it just says:

Genetics
    Co-dominant
    Blonde Pastel

Which really doesn't help me. I've been Googling trying to find sites that list maybe all of the combos - what parents produce what - with no luck. I know there is a "Genetics Wizard" on WBP.net which I love, but again, I'm looking to find out what the parents would be genetically, so, backwards from what the Wizard does. Can anyone point me to a website that'd help tame my inquiring mind? Thanks.

Thanks
    the genetics wizsrd didnt tell you what snakes make a blonde pastel Because Its not a combo or morph, its just another line of the pastel gene, if a snake is a combo the genetics wizard WILL tell you what was involved in the making. Only way it wont tell you is if the morph is brand new and hasn't been added yet.. You may want to start your breeding plans with a nice good study of snake genetics and how all the different morphs work together and the difference between codom,dominant and recessive

Thanks

Re: What makes what: a noob question.

Fair enough! I'm sorry I bugged you (hence the dots). I guess I was looking at the list and was trying to work backwards to find out what pair I'd need to buy in the future to get that outcome, that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilecatlady View Post
    Probably a noob question.
    After conducting a LOT of research and saving money, finding a bigger place to live, etc., I think I am going to be a BP breeder and collect a few morphs here and there, just like many of you. I'm on World of Ball Pythons.net looking at the morphs and deciding which male and female I may be saving up for in the future. I'm just wondering how you can tell what makes what - sometimes you get to a page, like the Blonde Pastel, and it just says:

Genetics
    Co-dominant
    Blonde Pastel

Which really doesn't help me. I've been Googling trying to find sites that list maybe all of the combos - what parents produce what - with no luck. I know there is a "Genetics Wizard" on WBP.net which I love, but again, I'm looking to find out what the parents would be genetically, so, backwards from what the Wizard does. Can anyone point me to a website that'd help tame my inquiring mind? Thanks.

im in the same boat as you lol. just keep reading and you will soon be able to figure it all out i cant offer much help seeing as i am still learning myself but read up on it as much as you can and it will all make MUCH more sense as time goes on

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    If you run down the morph lists they will usually tell you what made it on the left side.
    Problem is there are so many that change names it can get hard to follow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dube View Post
    im in the same boat as you lol. just keep reading and you will soon be able to figure it all out i cant offer much help seeing as i am still learning myself but read up on it as much as you can and it will all make MUCH more sense as time goes on
    My Spider is brand new I just was curious to begin thinking about the morphs now and just read how to breed as time goes on. Breeding for me is far in the future. But thanks. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks

My Spider is brand new I just was curious to begin thinking about the morphs now and just read how to breed as time goes on. Breeding for me is far in the future. But thanks. Glad to know I'm not alone.

it was for me too untill my beareded dragon ended up being a girl it was a shock to say the least. so now i think i am going to start on snakes good luck to you with your future breeding tho!!!!

Thanks

Fair enough! I'm sorry I bugged you (hence the dots). I guess I was looking at the list and was trying to work backwards to find out what pair I'd need to buy in the future to get that outcome, that's all.

You didn't bug me... The dots were a double post, some how my phone posted what i was writing far before i was even done or hit post... I just changed it to all dots and asked it be deleted.

Thanks
    Blonde Pastel
    http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/blonde-pastel/

Mutation - Tells you if it is a base mutation or designer mutation.
    Genetics - Tells you what genes went into it and whether they were dominant, co dominant, or resessive

So with the Blonde Pastel above we see Mutation as a Basic Morph which means it is a line of Pastel (Base Morph). Genetics shows just Blonde Pastel and that it is Co Dominant which confirms this.

Blonde Blast
    http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/blonde-blast/

So with the Blonde Blast above we see Mutation as a Designer Morph which means that it was created by pairing 2 snakes with different genetics together. Genetics on this show Blonde Pastel (Co-Dominant) and Pinstripe (Dominant) so we can see what it would take to make that morph. Now we run through the genetics wizard and it tells us what the odds of getting the desired outcome will be with that pairing.

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wi...e=48&female=84

So if we pair a Blonde Pastel and Pinstripe together the odds of us getting a Blonde Blast are 1 in 4 or 25%.

Hopefully this helps it come together. Everyone was a NOOB at one point and had to learn this info at one point or another. I know I am still a NOOB.
    1.0 Normal (Drake)
    1.2 100% Het. Pied (2015 Male) . (Death of the Endless), (2015 Female)
    1.0 Pastel PH Pied (Dream of the Endless)
    0.1 Spider (Delirium of the Endless)
    2.2 Het Albino (Morph), (Destruction of the Endless) . (Despair of the Endless), (Marvel Girl)
    1.0 Mojave (Destiny of the Endless)
    0.1 Butter (Desire of the Endless)
    2.1 Pastel (2016 Male 1), (2016 Male 2) . (Pheonix)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Dark Pheonix)
    1.1 Piebald (Ice-Man) . (Emma Frost)
    1.0 Super Pastel Fire (Wolverine)
    0.1 Super Pastel Yellow Belly (Psyclocke)
    1.0 Albino Pastel (Colossus)
    1.0 Inferno (Cyclops)
    1.0 Banana Spider (Angel)
    1.0 Coral Glow (Sabretooth)
    1.0 Orange Dream (Havok)
    0.1 Jigsaw (Jean Grey)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Beast)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drake Moonslayer For This Useful Post:

BadWolfDoc (10-29-2015),Megg (10-11-2015),reptilecatlady (10-11-2015),wolfy-hound (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Moonslayer really hit all the info there. I'll just add that sometimes a morph has more than one name for what is in essence the same morph.

Blonde pastel is a particular type of pastel, but it's still a pastel.

Also, lesser platinum is a single morph even though it has a two word name... although most hobbiests refer to the morph as a lesser. Then when you combine lesser with another morph like pastel, it would be called a lesser pastel, but it doesn't mean the pastel is "less" of a pastel, just that the other morph is called a "lesser".

So things can be confusing, even for experienced people, when new morphs pop up to also be combined into old morphs.

BP.net is really great at answering questions and especially for giving you the information to do research so you can understand how it all works.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast