Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

0 members and 3,203 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Snake room suggestions

So I finally did it. Pull the trigger and took out a mortgage on a small house. Very excited for things to come.

gonna be picking room for my snake room and doing some renovation in it before I move in.

Any my suggestion on what o should watch out for. If I am able to do this from the ground up I would like the perfect room that I can start my breeding operation in. I am already going to pull out he carpet and have tile or hardwood put in.

Anybody wanna show off their room to give me some ideas? What kind of flooring is best for insulation? Animal will be keep in rack with the occasional pvc cage for the bigger non breeder pets.

Still un sure where I can put the rat rack. I really don't want them to stink up the place if I'm late on cleaning. At the same time all my animals eats live.

All in in all very excited can't wait to see what suggestions you guys give me and show me your rooms!!!
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Thanks
    Best suggestion is insulation and lots of outlets.

For the rats I suggest an outbuilding with electrical hookup. We are purchasing a home with one just for that purpose.

Excited to get our real snake room set up too.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Since you're replacing the carpet anyway put in under-floor heat so you can maintain the ambient temperature in the room separately from the rest of the house, with linoleum or vinyl tile flooring. Ceramic tile is unforgiving if you drop something, hardwood and laminate don't do well long-term in high-humidity environments.

Extra outlets are always nice, put some high as well as low.

Additional lights in the ceiling are nice as well, position them to reduce sharp shadows. I would make them dimmable so when you enter the room at night the light doesn't go from full dark to super bright when you flip the switch.

If the room has a wet wall you could consider adding a utility sink.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-08-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    ^^ Oooo so stealing the heated flooring idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Extra outlets, and don't forget the breakers. Easy clean floor, good lighting. I ended up putting pieces of sheet insulation under the racks so the floor doesn't let cold seep up into the racks.

Room for a table and garbage can. A place to store water dishes, bedding, gloves, etc.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Good tip on the flooring. The house already has underfloor heating I think I'm good on this point. I plan to use standalone heating unit in the room too to boost the heat if needed. Keep it coming guys! Photo sharing of your room too would be great!
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I guess it depends on the room, but I have never had an issue with heating the room, but i also have a few bearded dragon cages and basically a room full of racks. my problem has been it getting too hot during the summer. I am most likely going to put a fan that can draw in colder house air when it gets too hot.