Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

1 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Strange behavior? Maybe?

So I have had an 18 inch, Young ball python for a week now. She eats when offerd and doesn't ball up when you hold her. Her tank during the day has one side at around 90 degrees and the other at around 80-85. During the night oneside is 85 and the other is 80. Humidity is usually held at 60 but it sometimes rides to 65 and drops to 55 are these okay humidity levels and temperatures? She also has an undertank heating pad that doesn't get too hot through the tank and aspen bedding. She usually spends the day inbetween her hide and the glass of her 20 gallon terrarium sleeping. At night though she is super active, constantly moving and climbing, she will perch on one of the temperature Guages too. She's just constantly moving and climbing up the sides! Is the enclosure too small? What other behavior should I not get worried at that might worry me?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Strange behavior? Maybe?

The heat pad must be regulated by a thermostat or you are risking fire and a really nasty and painful burn to your snake. The stick on dial gauges are garbage and are not very accurate...I would suggest you by digital. Walmart sells some nice ones cheap...they are the acurite brand and give you warm side temps,cool side, and humidity...welcome to the forum and please if the heat pad is not regulated please unplug it until it is.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Thanks
    What kind of heat pad is it? If it's the right type then you don't have to turn it off immediately, but you really should get a thermostat for it. With heat tape like flexwatt it needs to be regulated though.

That's normal behavior. Humidity levels are just fine. Make sure it's 60+% when in shed. Temperatures are fine. The cold side should be around 80, 85 is a bit too warm. Hot side should be 90, but it dropping to 85 at night is not bad. As long as ambient temperature is above 75 you are fine. If they are exposed to ambient below 70 for a long time you start to risk a respiratory infection.

I'll second getting the accurite from Wal-Mart. There's a cheap one with a wired probe that displays temperate at the probe (hot spot), and ambient, as well as humidity. The ones you have are terribly inaccurate and overpriced for what they are. I think that's the most important thing for you to make sure your heat pad won't injure the snake.

Other than that, the snake sounds healthy.

Edit: your cage size is fine. They like it smaller. You can house an adult in a 28 quart plastic storage box, which isn't too much bigger than that.
    Last edited by towelie4365; 10-04-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab