Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,460

2 members and 3,458 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Last hope for iguana

Does anyone know what can cause swelling in an iguanas leg that ISN'T MBD? Both of its forearms are swollen and the one is very hard the other is just puffy. The vet said that the puffy one could be inflammation or something with the bone but she thought the hard one was typical of a tumor. It wasnt filled with any liquid. She wasn't sure what to do, said she hadnt seen anything like it, and only threw out the idea to do every type of test, and said they could still come back inconclusive. All she did was give us about a 2 week supply of Meloxidyl.

I originally thought it was MBD so got a new uvb light and made sure the diet was correct but nothing improved. Of course MBD is the only thing that ever comes up when you search for issues regarding swelling and these type of symptoms.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks
    Well I'm certainly no vet, and my best advice would be to check with different exotic animal vets around you if the one you were using is unsure. It sounds like a possible infection to me, which apparently needs a good bit of testing and diagnostics to treat properly. MBD is a possibility, but it has lots of other symptoms including muscle spasms and swelling of the jaw that usually come with it. That doesn't mean MBD can be rules out, though. It would help if you could describe the diet you're using, or post pictures of the setup?

Here are some links from an animal hospital in long beach that talk about infection and bone disease that you may find helpful in the meantime;
    http://www.lbah.com/word/iguana-infection/
    http://www.lbah.com/word/iguana-bone-disease-nshp-mbd/