Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

breeding indo species BTS technique?

Has anyone bred indo species blue tongues? I have a pair of meraukes which I bought several years ago. When I got them, they pretty much immediately bred and gave 3 babies.

It was such a long time ago and I can't remember the circumstances, but they arrived during the time I breed my northerns, so I tried, and from whatever conditioning they were in before, they immediately bred.

I have been unable to get them willing to breed since. It's been several years of trying. I tried brumating like the northerns, I tried NOT brumating and keeping them warm all year. I have been unable to get the female willing especially to breed, nor their offspring.

It makes sense that their breeding is different from Aussie species. Please tell me how?

Thanks
    I have been trying to get my IJs to lock up for years as well. My male is willing and drops plugs every year, but my female is not having it. What I am going to try to do this season is duplicate their natural habitat and see if that helps, I am going to keep them damp/wet cut down the lighting cycle, eliminate some of the heat and keep them that way for most of the winter, not sure if it will work, but like you I have tried brumating them, not brumating them, and no luck...I have been told that it can take years for an import female to adjust to a new cycle (mine was an import) so we will see how this season goes.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What are you doing exactly? Keeping it wet and dark, then dry and bright, then breed?

What I don't get is that it worked the first time around.
    Last edited by hungba; 10-01-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks

Re: breeding indo species BTS technique?

Quote Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    What are you doing exactly? Keeping it wet and dark, then dry and bright, then breed?

What I don't get is that it worked the first time around.

I haven't had any success, so what I am doing isn't really working. Indos require humidity year round, I never keep mine "dry". That being said in the past at first I tried the no brumation approach, kept feeding and lights on 12 on 12 of year round, my male still produced plugs but the female wasn't having it. Second season I cut the light cycle from 12 hours to 9 hours and dialed down the temps and cut feeding in half to once a week, with a bump in humidity (never made the soil muddy, just damp). My male again produced plugs, but the female still wasn't having it. This season I am going to do a full brumation no lights in the cage (ambient through the windows), humidity high, fresh water, no food. I am still experimenting myself so nothing I am saying is proven or set in stone, this is just what I have gathered from reading and doing my own research.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well I did the full brumation thing too amd nothing happened.

Thanks

Re: breeding indo species BTS technique?

There is still not a lot known about breeding indo species because they are still being imported in huge quantities...vs northerns where they have the breeding down to a science...you just have to keep tweaking until you find something that works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS