Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,934

2 members and 1,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP, is this normal?

First time ball python owner here... Pretty sure my baby is going into shed... His belly never got pink, eyes still clear... But he has been really really dry for over two weeks with some wrinkling when he folds his body & lengthwise when he's roaming around. He's so dry he has a hard time moving around on my arms when I hold him. Everyone keeps saying it is normal and give time... But I am scared.
    Some of his scales are turning yellow/cream... They are on the outlines of his lighter patches only though. It seems very sporadic, though. Is he changing colors??
    Please take a minute to look at the pictures I'm posting. Some dry-ER spots and the light random scales... Normal orrr?
    yes I've checked for mites almost ever day and he has none. I bumped his humidity up to 60-70%, he has two water bowls (one big, one small) that I clean every day. He has still been eating great every 5-7 days, acting normal. He also has two hides that he looooves... One on warm side, one on the cool side.

I guess I really just need to know am I being paranoid or not?

Thanks
    IMO he still looks pretty bright, and does not have the dull coloration like when they are going into shed, and if the eyes aren't capped that makes me think he is not going into shed. Once you get more experience with him you will be able to tell when he is going into shed. Nice looking snake. Relax, and enjoy

Banned
    Thanks

Re: HELP, is this normal?

Looks normal to me..as long as all your husbandry is correct there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I really don't see anything abnormal but I am not right there with the bp. First, what type of enclosure do you keep him in and what are the temperatures on the cool side, warm side, ambient and hot spot? What type of substrate are you using for him? I see you bumped up the humidity.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I really don't see anything abnormal but I am not right there with the bp. First, what type of enclosure do you keep him in and what are the temperatures on the cool side, warm side, ambient and hot spot? What type of substrate are you using for him? I see you bumped up the humidity.

Glass cage age witha screen top. I keep him in a room with no heat or a/c. I live in Florida so it keeps the humidity above 50 at all times. Right now it's at 64. It also keeps the temperature 79-91 at all times-- His cool side flucuates with the weather... But on the warm side I have a UTH with the thermostat set at 90 degrees at all times.
    Ambient temps also flucuates with the weather-- no hot spot other than the UTH. I am using aspen shavings as substrate.

my particular concern his if his natural body isn't producing lubrication for itself. Could he be dehydrated? I saw him take one sip after he ate 3 days ago, but that's all.

Thanks
    Lubrication for what? They drink more than you think they do, you just hardly ever see it...

Registered User chocolatepudding's Avatar
    Thanks
    my bp doesnt get very dull when he sheds so i suggest looking out for some wrinkles when he bends, like loose skin. That's how i can always tell.

- - - Updated - - -

my bp doesnt get very dull when he sheds so i suggest looking out for some wrinkles when he bends, like loose skin. That's how i can always tell.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chocolatepudding For This Useful Post:

D3lacr0ix (09-29-2015)

Thanks

Thanks

I just posted that picture that I took this morning... You can see the wrinkles much better... His skin is very very loose and I'm afraid it's just dehydration... I have no idea what to do.

Banned
    Thanks

There's nothing that looks wrong in any pictures. everything looks normal. If your husbandry is on point there is nothing to worry about...there skin expands and moves and wrinkles naturally.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk